dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need an interactive (social) (forum or blog) solution to implement on a PHP website

Need an interactive (social) (forum or blog) solution to implement on a PHP website

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of redesigning a website that I've had up for over two years now. It has a lot of visits and I made a temporary forum back when I put it live in 2006. Thing is, I lost interest in the forum because it was a stock template hosted on another site and it didnt feel a part of the general feel of my website.

Now I've come to a point where I need more flexibility, I'm currently redesigning using PHP and have the perfect layout and design, all I need now is to find a way to add interactivity and the social aspect into the mix.

My idea is to be able to post news items, the headlines would appear on the homepage, but at the same time, the headlines would be conversation threads in their own right. I'd also like to open a forum section in which all these threads would appear. This sounds like a simple forum solution but I've never been confident in theming forums or blogs, also, I'm reluctant to jump into the likes of PHPBB because I want it to look like my newly designed website, I want someone to be able to click on a news item then they'd be taken to a story which looks like a page on my site which also allows them to contribute to it via replying.

Can this be achieved using PHPBB at all? If not, how do you suggest I go about it?

It'd be perfect if we could have all the forum functionality, i.e. membership, locked threads, signatures etc. But I'll take any good solution at the moment.

Finally, it may be worth noting that I don't have a lot of time to get this thing live due to marketing restrictions and deadlines.

P.S. I like the way this site works with people responding to stories:
    www.dvdtimes.co.uk - is this feasible and can it be done with open source software or is it something that I'd need extensive PHP and MySQL knowledge for?

Any help would be hgely appreciated, thank you.
    Jonathan

Re: - Need an interactive (social) (forum or blog) solution to implement on a PHP web

Hello Jonathan,

There are two ways of doing this: -

a) Either you use all the third party tools like PHPBB, integrated them with your website and then customize them to add the specific features you want to offer interactivity to your users and have the feel of your website.

b) Develop customized tools specifically tailored for your needs.

Which ever option you opt you would need to have the good experience and expertise in PHP and MySQL. Now as you have mentioned that you have tight deadlines thus what you may do is hire a web development company to do this for you. The thing you should look while selecting this firm should be how much work they have done in PHP and it will be plus if they have the prior experience of working with the third party software you would want to be integrated with your website.

Cheers,

~Maneet
    LeXolution IT Services
    Web Design Services

How tight is your deadline, days, weeks, months? If you are looking for a forum I like simple machines forum. I set this up for a friend of my wife's one time and it seemed pretty good. I know it is PHP and we were able to customize it pretty well. We were starting from scratch so we made the forum look the way we wanted and then formatted the site to match. This may not be an option for you. Do you have a link to your website so I could see what look you are trying to get it to blend into.

SMF has includes available so you can make many of the functions of the forum visible on other pages of a website. This should make your headlines idea possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gregmatic View Post
    How tight is your deadline, days, weeks, months? If you are looking for a forum I like simple machines forum. I set this up for a friend of my wife's one time and it seemed pretty good. I know it is PHP and we were able to customize it pretty well. We were starting from scratch so we made the forum look the way we wanted and then formatted the site to match. This may not be an option for you. Do you have a link to your website so I could see what look you are trying to get it to blend into.

SMF has includes available so you can make many of the functions of the forum visible on other pages of a website. This should make your headlines idea possible.
    Hi there, sorry about the late reply, I appreciate your time for replying.

Here's a link to the (very much) work in progress! - http://www.satellitecitytv.net/v3/

Here's the existing site: http://www.satellitecitytv.net/

I was hoping to get it done in the next two months if at all possible!

Again, many thanks
    Jonathan

Thread Information