dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Apache Port Forwarding

Hybrid View

Apache Port Forwarding

I have recently installed WAMPSERVER on my computer. I have all programs functioning properly and I am trying to allow my apache server to be accessed by outside computers (preferably with username and passwords assigned if possible)

I have done some searching but cannot find a proper way to set up port forwarding on my wireless Linksys router and make sure I do not mess anything up. I have read things about opening PORT 80 but, again I have not read anything about it with clarity. I am new at this

I appreciate any help.

have you tried googling linksys forward port 80?

yes and as i have said i have not received a clear and concise way of addressingt this situation. I do not want to ruin the functionality or security of my router...

You should be able to back up your router before making any changes.

Basically you should be able to find an option to specify a port - port 80 - and be able to specify where (i.e. the IP address of your server) to forward it to.

I'd guess that there will also be a way to reset the router to factory defaults if you really make a mess, but it's unlikely you'll need to go down that route.

i still cant seem to find any way to get this to work. Are there instructions in a forum or any place that can guide me?

All i have gotten up to is in the port forwarding section on my router i have made up a name for the application and for both start and end port I have put in 80. I click enable and save changes but for some reason the changes do not save?

This may seem a silly question, but are you using Firefox?

Some routers only update certain things using Internet Explorer - My 3com router is an example of this.

I am using firefox. However I have also tried it in internet explorer and have received the same issue.

It should ask you which IP address you want to forward the port to. It should be the same as the local IP address of the server you are using. To find out your local IP address, click Start, then Run, type "cmd" and press enter. Once in command prompt, type "ipconfig /all" and press enter. Look for "IP Address:" which should be followed by a local IP address, and it should start with 192.168.*.* or .. actually there is another IP group that is dedicated to being local, but I can't remember.. But yeah, your IP should show there, so tell your router to forward Port 80 to that IP. If it still doesn't save, try updating the firmware on your router.

Thank you very much. My settings are being saved now. It seems that not entering the ip address to forward it to was causing it not to save.

However, now when I try to access the server from another computer (just entering the ip address in the address bar) the page just doesnt load. What is the next step in order to get something to load or to access the files i need?

bump...any help??

Go to http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm, select your router, then select Apache on the list of programs, and you will get a detailed guide on how to forward ports on your router.

so it seems i have forwarded the port correctly..on external compters i can type in my compters ip address and a page loads with all the router information..is that right? if so how do i set it so a webpage that i am trying to serve out appears?

I appreciate your help

still trying to figure out how to get a customized page to load through por forwarding...any help?

on external compters i can type in my compters ip address and a page loads with all the router information..is that right?
    Nope. That's not right. That means the port was not forwarded. Rather, you have "external administration" enabled (or some similar concept). And that's actually something you probably don't want enabled.

Also, when you say "my computers ip address" I assume you really mean your router or modem's IP address. Is that correct? Port forwarding doesn't apply (I think) if the target device's IP address is visible to the WAN.

Quote Originally Posted by sac8513 View Post
    so it seems i have forwarded the port correctly..on external compters i can type in my compters ip address and a page loads with all the router information..is that right? if so how do i set it so a webpage that i am trying to serve out appears?

I appreciate your help
    Looks like it is missing the internal ip address of the computer it needs to forward it to.

Thread Information