www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Photoshop: masking layer styles

Photoshop: masking layer styles

I wonder if there's any way to mask layer styles like "Drop Shadow" without losing it.

What I do to mask a drop shadow is:
    1- Right-click on "effects" (the corresponding layer style) and select "Create layer". This way, the drop shadow effect is converted into a new layer underneath the current one.
    2- I select this new layer, and click on "Add Vector Mask".
    3- I use this mask to hide everything of the "drop shadow" effect I don't want to show.

Major problem with this: it's an irreversible method. What if I have to change some parameter in the drop dhadow effect?? or add a new one? I lost my layer style.

Any suggestion please??

Inga. is offline Motstånd är meningslöst
    Can you explain what you're trying to accomplish in a little more detail, please? My husband and I were looking at your issue but couldn't understand exactly what you wanted to do.

yes, of course! I'll try to explain myself better:

You can add every layer a bunch of effects: drop shadow, inner/outer glow, bevel/emboss, satin... you must know what I'm talking about.

What I intend to do is to cover (hide) some parts of these effects without covering the pixels of the layer they are attached to.

The only way I know to do this, is by converting those effects which are applied to the same layer into different underlying layers which then I can easily mask, but it's an irreversible process. Well, I could duplicate the initial layer including its effects, but,

is there any way to directly mask layer styles/effects??

Inga. is offline Motstånd är meningslöst
    My husband says you can try this: (apologies in advance if the english isn't clear enough. He's been doing graphic design forever, but doesn't usually explain his methods!)

always work on a copy of your original layer
    hide the original
    work with a copy
    add your layer mask and make your changes
    use the original if you need to make changes later by changing another copy of the original
    expand it so you get your drop shadow or effect on its own layer again.
    Copy the mask
    paste it into the new layer

If I'm understanding what you're saying, I think you just want to be using an adjustment layer. Look up adjustment layer in the PSD online help.

Kimm

If I really understand what you said, Photoshop masking layer service provided by many companies. You can try these to solve your query. Thanks

Thread Information