www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft wants you to pay as you go for Windows

Microsoft wants you to pay as you go for Windows

Microsoft wants you to pay by how much you use Windows:
    Microsoft's plan would instead monitor the machine to track things such as disk storage space, processor cores and memory used, then bill the user for what was consumed during a set period.
    the company admitted that the overall cost to the user might be higher than for a standard PC purchase.
    Five Reasons Microsoft Wants To Do This
    1. The Road Has Run Out On Microsoft's Traditional Software Licensing Business Model.
    2. The Pay As You Go Model Makes Microsoft The Sole Toll Taker.
    3. Microsoft Wants Your Credit Card.
    4. Google Is Eating Microsoft's Breakfast, Lunch And Dinner.
    5. Microsoft Wants To Control The Horizontal And Vertical Of Your Internet Experience.

Microsoft needs to get their head out of my wallet. What a stupid idea.

Isn't that just a bigger incentive for Microsoft to just make slower and more resource intensive programs?
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

This has been their plan all along. Internet Explorer was built to be the platform for this and that's why it has file controls and access to your registry built in. And we can see how that was such a big success.

I've been re-watching the old BBC production of I Claudius. It seems empires always rot from within, sowing the seeds of their own destruction.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Absurd!

Great freakin' idea! -Like rearranging the furniture on the Titanic!

Microsoft does MORE to promote LINUX, other platforms and browsers, than the platforms or browsers can secure themselves. We owe M$ a debt of thanks for that!
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    Apparently they've been charging in other countries.
    Link
    I think that is hilarious, won't people just take the cheaper laptop, and just install a cracked copy of windows(or if they listen to the geek installing it for them linux/BSD) over the top, saving themselves the monthly payments and netting a much cheaper laptop.
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...

Quote Originally Posted by scragar View Post
    I think that is hilarious, won't people just take the cheaper laptop, and just install a cracked copy of windows(or if they listen to the geek installing it for them linux/BSD) over the top, saving themselves the monthly payments and netting a much cheaper laptop.
    In the original link, Microsoft themselves said this pay thing will be more expensive for the user overall.

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    In the original link, Microsoft themselves said this pay thing will be more expensive for the user overall.
    Overall, yes, but if you don't use their charge for usage system, then I'm sure it would work out much cheaper.

That's a question. Can you opt out? But if you opt out, I'm sure you pay full price for everything which might be cheaper in the long run. But a lot of people only look at the upfront cost of things and not the long term. (See just about anything people buy on credit nowadays).

Looks like it's more targeted for corporate licenses than personal use, but then you're also assuming they will ever actually implement it: applying for a patent != actual implementation. In addition to the pricing question, the privacy question would also come into play. The two together applied to the consumer electronics world would seem to me to only increase the flow away from Windows to Linux or MacOS, making it sound to me like a really dumb marketing move. Whether Fortune 500 company CIO's and CFO's would buy into it is an issue I have no way to guess.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    you're also assuming they will ever actually implement it: applying for a patent != actual implementation.
    That's where the other link comes in. They are implementing something similar in Brazil and other countries.

They'll never succeed with this. It'll never, fully, make it off the ground.
    Regardless, I am shocked that they would dare bring this to the home user!
    Linux, MacOS, you will be our rock in the hard times to come.
    **(o)>***<(o)
    ___|| * * *
    *||__ , * * * * * * * * (o)>
    \___/ * * * *\___/ * * * * * * *___//
    iiiiLLiiiiiiiiiiiiiii_/_|iiiiiiiiiii~~~~~~ \___/~~~~~~~~~

Thread Information