www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it missing?

What is it missing?

I uploaded the about page of a site I am working on currently for another church. I love the layout of the page except that it is way too simple.

It's missing something to make it more attractive.

the links don't work because I just uploaded this part to show you guys. the page won't actually be published until i have it ready to show the pastor.

I want to add some simple things to make it stand out and look a bit more professional.

maybe a white to black gradient to the content of the page?

any input would be much appreciated.

link?

haha oops. i was chasing my kids while i was typing the post. sorry!

http://www.geocities.com/candy_cane_7_11/about.html

You need containment. Everything is "freeflow". Defined regions. Here is the company I work for:

http://www.hzdg.com/

Check out some of our sites under "Work" for ideas.
    Bitter web veteran

yeah.. check out your sites... riiigggghhtt.. Your sites are amazing and very dynamic. I honestly don't see myself ever reaching that kind of design capability. I can't afford schooling and I'm not so good at learning unless something is shown to me step by step with examples and then being walked through it before I can understand something.

You know I've read at least 8 tutorials on javascript and how to write your own and i still have no clue how to do anything except mouseovers and alerts.

but anyway, by containment, I assume you mean how I just let the text go down the page, and I need to contrict it to a smaller area?

speaking of containment, if I knew how, i could put it all in a center black area with a dark gray surrounding it... I just wouldn't know how. Kind of like your main page is embedded in that darker tan area.

It just takes patience. Learning anything takes time and web design is one of those things that takes a lot of knowledge (I have 16 years).

A simple <div> tag with a fixed width positioned in the center of a browser with a cool background image would help. Ignore the Javascript and focus on CSS, that is where your creativity can work. Javascript enhances and does not determine your layout.

Here is some eye-candy:

http://scarletcaps.hzdesign.com/
    Bitter web veteran

If you subtract the good graphic art and the multimedia, I could probably put that page together using position tags. It would have a lot less dimension because I'm not so good with gradients, but I could place the elements on the page.

I told my wife she needed to learn photoshop and illustrator so I could just focus on the coding part.

Let me fool around with the page for a while (I'm actually supposed to have a working layout by this Sunday.. pooey) and I'll see what I can do with containment.

I have my other page contained in tighter margins, but I don't want to make two of the same layouts beings this is only my second real webpage and it wouldn't look too good for my portfolio. Potential hires would think I was only capable of doing one thing.

there's just something about churches though... can't charge em. If I even think about it I get a guilty feeling in the pit of my gut.

Try and find a good background image and anchor the page centered with a <div> that has a border. You may also want to reduce the size of the logo image as it is rather large.
    Bitter web veteran

ouch.. those are words I didn't want to hear. They mke sense, but I didn't want to hear them. I'll have to remake the image because sizing it down will pixelate it, and it wasn't the easiest to make.

Off to work

If you use photoshop to size it down (merging all layers first), it should be fine, no?
    Windows XP Professional
    256MB RDRAM (damn expensive)
    120GB HD, 2.56GHz P4 Processor
    Only 64MB GeForce4 Vid Card /w TV-Out
    Wish I had money to buy more RAM lmao

resizing it in photoshop worked fine. I brought it down from 1003px to 600px

Now I'll get to adjusting the layout again, and as soon as I incorporate some of the advice you guys are giving, I'll reload it onto geocities. Thanks.

ouch... I was going to change the black background into an image instead of just a color so that I could change the look of the edges, but I got to thinking that an image 1500x700 is just a little too big and would take away from how quickly the page loads.

I made a small design with some inspirational ideas (attached).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bitter web veteran

I like that. Did you just use image masking in photoshop?

If so then I think I might be able to put something together.

The image you made looked cool, but I'm trying to lean towards big flare. A fire of God burning deep down inside that it must be let out. So.. not so subtle.

By the way, I used an ugly image to see about shrinking my layout, and yeah, it doesn't work. Containment isn't such a good thing for this layout. Not the containment I was thinking though. Maybe using something like what you just made, then adding a gradient to the content to set it apart. Thoughts?

Thread Information