dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: massage therapy site

Inga. is offline Motstånd är meningslöst

massage therapy site

My husband and I did a massage therapy site this week. It's my first site without using any tables (once I have learned a bit of css layer layout stuff, I never want to use tables again- this is so much nicer (when it works!)).

Our goal for this was to present a semi-medical feel for an upscale clinic. Initially, we tried an eggshell background across the site for some warmth but found that it displayed far too red on some monitors. So, we switched back to plain white. I wonder if it is too minimal, though? It's hard to judge since I've been looking at it for two days now.

the site

I learned everything I used on this site from reading old posts and asking a few questions. This forum is really a great resource. I still have a lot to learn, though!

Clean site....

The "off white" is a nice soft color on my screen. I would keep it, based on what you described you're shooting for.

One thing I'm unhappy with is the map on this 'find me page.

It is ugly and doesnt really serve a purpose as a functional map in any way especially since it links to an actual map site. I would like to use something perhaps more simple and abstract but still graphically representing the idea of 'location'.
    Last edited by Inga.; 12-13-2008 at 04:41 AM.

i would suggest a calm cream color with a tan background. If you are using dreamweaver to design your site i would suggest fireworks to do the graphics in or psp. The problem with white is after staring at a site for a while and reading your eyes become very sensitive to light. hense the reason for the epilepsy warnings on some sites. When i design a site i think about the reader first. then i think about the design to use that is eye catching and says and does what you want it to do. hope that helped as a tip if anything

Thanks for the feedback. The green and the minimal layout are part of the client's graphic profile and so cannot change much. We had tried a subtle background to the site with #fff3e2 and a few variations on it with less and less colour but found it displayed as far too red on poorly calibrated monitors and so went back to white. We can try that again, though.

Currently my husband uses AI and PS cs4 for all graphics and does mockups for me to refer to in pdf format. My husband is a graphic designer so that's what he normally uses. What is the advantage if he switched to FW? I've never tried it and I'm not sure how he has used it either so maybe we're missing out on some good stuff.

if you are not using any complicated forms then a simple html would work take a peek at www.bayair.com this is a simple html that was created with fireworks. The advantage is u can edit anything in there as you are designing the site ie. pictures , colors, backgrounds etc.
    Last edited by Not So Smart; 12-13-2008 at 07:04 AM.

i have attached an example of what can be done with fireworks with the logo from that site. this is just a png file, but if you take it into photoshop and save it as a jpeg it will not take as long to load on a site. as far as the map on the page i would just make a link to it and not have it on the site something like we are located at: 1234 find me road and link that to driving directions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Not So Smart; 12-13-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Fireworks tutorial

Inga -

The video tutorials listed here are pretty good for beginners. I've never touched the program before discovering this site about a week ago, and It's helped me a lot.

Hi,

I can relate to your problem with beige backgrounds. I've gone through that myself. You might consider something that has a little green in it (to cancel out the red), but no matter what you do, the site is going to look slightly different on some monitors.

Also, I would recommend placing a border around your container div to set the content off a bit from the page background.

Maybe something like this which has a border and a greenish beige background:

http://webpages.charter.net/testspace213/spasite.html
    http://webpages.charter.net/testspace213/spasite2.html

Also, you need to test your site in IE. The maincontent div is dropping below the sidebar div on the interior pages. (This is in IE. It's ok in Firefox.) You can see that problem on the 2nd page I listed (an example of your interior pages.)

kelly

Quote Originally Posted by kelly23 View Post
    Also, you need to test your site in IE. The maincontent div is dropping below the sidebar div on the interior pages. (This is in IE. It's ok in Firefox.) You can see that problem on the 2nd page I listed (an example of your interior pages.)

kelly
    Is that in an older version of IE? I don't have the old version installed and only tested on the new.

Yes, that's in IE6.

I actually just tested in IE7 on my laptop, and it displays correctly there.

However, on that machine the background color displays "gray". So, you'd either need to add more green to the color I used for the background, or get away from those neutral colors if you're particular about exact shades.

kelly

I had bookmarked a site that did simulations of older browsers, but I left it on an old computer, apparently. My googling didn't find what I was after. Do you know of a site that simulates older versions of browsers so I can avoid this in the future?

Also, those colours are part of the client's graphic profile along with the minimalist approach, so it is what we have to use.

Thanks for the tips.

It's a simple nice site. I can't find any evident tribble.

Hi Inga site is really nice

Hi Inga site is really nice looking colors schemes are also great one thing i wud prefer plz make a english version also of your site as well than your site will promote you globally put it a language option on your site and if is it possible so use bit bright color images dont use dark colors of black & white images and need any kind of help ask any time

Thread Information