www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: do we really need to...

do we really need to...

Do we really need to use a seperate style sheet for IE6 or other browsers.

e.g - a large multi million dollar site such as facebook has a different style sheet to manage IE6.

Surely with all their money they could employ a top CSS programmer who can create a style sheets that would handle all browsers OR am i completely wrong. Should we all be thinking this way... should we all be creating separate IE6 style sheets or style sheets that are just picked up by other browsers

Sometimes the "different stylesheet" really isn't a stylesheet, but just one or two adjustment styles applied to a container to fix a float issue. I'm not against this type of thing, but I DO agree that a whole stylesheet shouldn't be created for a specific browser; the design should be more accessible than that.

Ok cool, that is what i meant (not an entire stylesheet) but is not possible for CSS expert to make a stylesheet that supports all browsers

I used to, but there was always some new version of a browser (ummmm, IE....) that would break something. So I always design "forward," and have alternatives for older browsers. It's easier to phase out the older ones, than constantly updating one sheet.
    Last edited by KDLA; 01-21-2009 at 02:16 PM.

is not possible for CSS expert to make a stylesheet that supports all browsers
    Depends more on the layout than anything else. Some layouts you can put together in a single stylesheet, some others there's no possible way. I try most of the time to get it to work with only a single stylesheet - and by try I mean in the final stages of developing the layout I can spend days trying different CSS techniques to get everything to load perfectly in all browsers (a lot of the time it eventually works, but sometimes there's just no way) - but that's more me being anal than a good webdeveloper.

Main point - don't worry if you have to use another stylesheet.

Quote Originally Posted by aj_nsc View Post
    Depends more on the layout than anything else. Some layouts you can put together in a single stylesheet, some others there's no possible way. I try most of the time to get it to work with only a single stylesheet - and by try I mean in the final stages of developing the layout I can spend days trying different CSS techniques to get everything to load perfectly in all browsers (a lot of the time it eventually works, but sometimes there's just no way) - but that's more me being anal than a good webdeveloper.

Main point - don't worry if you have to use another stylesheet.
    You seem to be a little like me, i really try to get it all in one sheet, i'd love if finally some day there was one way to code a css without having to worry about cross browser compatibility... thanks for the replies guys

You can also use ie conditional comments within the html if you want the element to act differently in ie. I just point to an ie css.

Quote Originally Posted by 6StringGeek View Post
    You can also use ie conditional comments within the html if you want the element to act differently in ie. I just point to an ie css.
    Can you elaborate on this please, thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by oo7ml View Post
    Can you elaborate on this please, thanks in advance
    http://www.positioniseverything.net/...s/cc-plus.html

This is an example...

Thread Information