dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: importing a web gallery in expression web 2

importing a web gallery in expression web 2

Hello, I have been trying for a week to import a web gallery I made in Adobe Lightroom to expression web 2. In Lightroom it gives you the option of making a html gallery or flash gallery. both options produce several files such as 1 or 2 .js files a xml document and some others. I have tried to just import all the files into expression web and put the .swf ( if I have chosen a flash gallery) into a div this dosent seem to work properly. Also I would love to put one of the html galleries on expression web but i have no idea what to do with any of those files.
    I would greatly appreciate any help given.
    thank you

bump

bump

Unfortunately I have never used either of the programs you mentioned, but I would bet you are making a very common mistake… pathing problems.
    Does the Web gallery work just after you created it? If yes, then almost any malfunction can be traced to pathing problems.
    As a learning experience, I would suggest that you get out of expression web mode and learn the file/folder structure created by Adobe Lightroom for your web gallery. Not sure how you are uploading your “web gallery” but I would suggest using an FTP program like SmartFTP. This will visually let you see file/folder relationships and could alert you to problems.
    Any change in the original “RELATIVE” relationship will cause problems. For example, if you put a .swf into a Web page that is one folder level above all the supporting files, you will have to change the .swf to find the required files, which now, relative to it’s location, are one folder level below. If your .swf calls an xml file, it is now one layer above it’s original location, so you need to address that. If you cannot change the actual Flash .fla file, never change the file/folder relationship. If you but the .swf in the root of your Web site, all the other files need to be put in there also, in the file/folder relationship as originally created.
    In creating .swfs, I often have to create extra folders which will exist when it’s in its final location.
    Then back to expression web 2. Once you have the correct file/folder structure, just open the file with the .swf…and things will work just right!
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

ew 2

Thanks, I am getting it to work now. My first mistake with the html gallery was a rookie mistake I guess when someone is trying to teach themselves web development. I tried to use it as you would a swf by just placing one of the files in a div. I have since realized that html gallery is just as it implies, a set of html pages coupled with the css code for arranging it on your site. I have just put the pages and css code into my website folder and changed the hyperlinking in the code to reflect the pathing. This has worked so far. As for the swf files, I havent tried them again yet however I am sure you are right as far as it being a problem with the way I have set the paths up to call specific files or folders.

Thread Information