www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: 1,000 Textareas + a Little Javascript = drag and drop AJAX spreadsheet?

Hybrid View

1,000 Textareas + a Little Javascript = drag and drop AJAX spreadsheet?

Hello,
    I am trying to create a web app that blends the functionality of scriptaculos' drag and drop with that of an AJAX spreadsheet so that the user can make changes to a spreadsheet-like thing and have those changes saved in a MySQL database using AJAX.

To do this, I thought I might be able to just put a lot of text areas or text fields together and add on a Javascript onchange event.

So it kind of looks something like this
    Code:
    <textarea id="something" name="something" onchange="dosomething()" onkeydown="dosomethingelse" onfocus="dosomethingelse" >Value</textarea>
    The problem I'm running into is that the high number of text areas is slowing down the web browser. There are at least 1,000 text areas. Safari handles things OK, but still slows down a bit. Firefox just crashes all together.

This might be a total shot in the dark, but is there anything I can do to make it so that web browsers can handle this many text areas/text fields?

If not, what other ways might there be to create a drag and drop AJAX spreadsheet? Taking all suggestions!

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Jeff

10,000 of any elements is too much for a browser.
    Paging is an option; only loading the elements in view, probably around 400 cells.
    Take a look how Google handle their spreadsheet.
    Editable drag & drop can be applied to any element.

Smile

For some reason, Firefox doesn't have any problem handling 1,000+ span tags even though it can't handle that many text fields. So I think what I may do is replace the text fields with spans and have one text field floating around to do editing in place.

Thank you for your help!

Thread Information