www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Best WYSIWYG Editors

Post Best WYSIWYG Editors

Hi All,

I am looking for a good WYSIWYG editor. I've tried Komposer but it seems complicated. I need this for some people I am doing a website for. Does anyone have any suggestions of free/open source programs that are easy to use?

Thanks,

Dreadingjs

If you search the forum, using "WYSIWYG", you will find many opinions from other posts.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

In engineering we have a saying: of fast, good and cheap you can pick two. In your case it will be of easy, good or cheap. There is only one good WYSIWYG, Amaya. It's certainly cheap but it's a little tricky to get used to.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Another thing to consider about such editors is that they can actually add complexity to building a web page just as easily as they can take it away.

Using a visual editor means you're actually dealing with two sets of rules instead of one. You not only have to conform to the rules of HTML, but also to the additional rules of your editor and how it wants you to do things. To a beginner that probably doesn't fully understand the rules of HTML, let alone those of the editor, this can be a rather counter-productive situation.

I've seen it happen to a lot of people recently. They don't get properly exposed to the actual HTML and so never gain a decent degree of familiarity with it, and when they have problems it's difficult for them to figure out whether they're breaking the rules of HTML, or the editor.

For a different approach, if your host supports PHP, you might take a look at something like the Concrete5 CMS (download page).
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

A pretty basic free one

I have been using NVU , it works pretty well and best of all its free.
    Good for Windows or Mac. I have also heard of Taco Software which is like $25.00 but is only for Mac users.

Try NVU

http://www.nvu.com

are you looking for a full CMS or a WYSIWYG editor? if WYSIWYG, i'd recommend Tiny MCE. I've used it a few times and it works well.
    Acceptable Use | SQL Forum FAQ | celery is tasteless | twitter

celery is tasteless - currently needing some UI time

If you do a search on these forums, this question has been asked many, many times.
    Last edited by LeeU; 02-10-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: changes
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Thumbs up Wysiwyg

Thanks All. I hadn't heard of tiny. Contribute was already on the system so I just wound up teaching the people to use that since it was just like Excel and Word for editing purposres. I wasn't too thrilled with it because it didn't accurately read my table code but after making modifications it turned out ok.

Thread Information