www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: .htaccess and Safari

Hybrid View

Question .htaccess and Safari

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes:

I have set up password protection for a folder on my website using .htaccess and .htpasswd.

This works as it should for IE, Firefox, Opera and Google Chrome; that is anyone trying to access the folder is prompted for a user name and password.

However, in Safari, the user just sails through to the 'protected' folder, apparently ignoring the protection.

As you can imagine, this is rather worrying. Has anyone got any ideas?

Did you sort this problem?

If you didn't it might be that you are putting <limit get post> or similar and so any other type of authentication i.e. one that is not "get" or "post" (and one that safari appears to do when it should be doing a post) doesn't actually require authentication.

The reason I suspect this is that I am attempting to check one of my pages on browsercam and it all works great IE6-8, FF, Netscape, Opera but NOT safari on the protected page, so it appears that I have the reverse problem, safari won't even attempt to load the page that is protected by an .htaccess file!

Can you or anyone else shed any light on this?

Thanks
    Ed

I didn't really solve it; the problem just went away. I put it down to my system finding a cached copy of the page previously accessed by either Safari or one of the other browsers I was testing. I haven't noticed it since.

Thread Information