dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: div's not showing up in IE7

div's not showing up in IE7

Hi, I have a site with various div's on the home page. When the site is first visited, the nav div and 2 other div's containing Flash movies do not appear. Yet, if I type "index.html" after the URL, the page loads fine. This is mainly in IE6 & IE7.

Here's the site: http://www.catskaraoke.com/

Has anyone seen anything like this? It only has issues on certain computers. I'm at my wit's end and have no idea what to do, as I have tried everything I could think of.

thanks
    -Sean

Here are a couple quick observations.
    First, all the missing div contents do load when you click the link above. To test, empty your Temp Internet cache and click link above. All .swf eventually load, but one is HUGE...5.8MB!
    With an empty cache, appending index.html does NOT make any difference. Reloading either address, once the .swfs are downloaded into the cache, page will display correctly. So problem is not the diference in addresses but whether or not the .swfs are in the Temp Internet folder or not.
    So that seems to indicate that the first time through, the code is expecting to display something that is not yet available, as a variable or whatever. When the page reloads, since that resource or variable(the .swf) is now available in the cache, it will display. Not exactly sure what or how this is happening but I would be very suspicious of leftcollumn.swf. This is a 5.8MB file....that's HUGH and takes a heck of a long time to download even on my 6Mb connection.
    Perhaps in the time it takes to complete downloading that file, the browser has parsed it's way down the code, past the display or show part and finished the page. It could not display because the resource was not available as that part of the code was being parsed.
    A simple test could verify. Create a simple .swf with the same dimensions as the .swfs but just a few frames, so the file size is tiny (20kb). Give them the same names as the current .swf and replace the large files with the small files to see if the file size/loading order is an issue.
    Regardless, I'd say that loading 6+MB on page loading is really way too much. The worst offender is leftcollumn.swf. You could use a loadMovie only onRelease to start the video download, don't put the whole video in the timeline. The file size would be much, much smaller if you only displayed the Television set on loading and used the controls to download the video
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Hey thanks eye for video

Unfortunately, your idea of removing "leftcollumn" did not work. The site is fine in all browsers except internet explorer. I can't figure it out.

thanks

Darn!!!
    But it does load correctly from either address if the .swfs are in the cache, correct? While it may just be a IE problem...well you'll still have to deal with it.
    OK, well I still think the problem is in the way IE parses the functions code for the "placeholder" div, the loadDivs function. You might try to comment out everthing above the placeholder div.... the page displays fine (at least from here), with no function running.
    To test, start turning on (remove comment) each var, one at a time, perhaps you'll find a suspect area of the code.
    Another way to test would be to duplicate the <div id="leftCollumn"> code above the placeholder, outside of the control of the functions. If leftcollumn loads there but not in placeholder, problem is in functions filling up and showing contents of placeholder. Or it may make the resource of the duplicate "leftcollumn" available to placeholder.
    Good luck to ya!
    EfV

Thread Information