dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: cookies &Ethics, rating script issues

cookies &Ethics, rating script issues

While trying to write rating script I came across several methods and designs online. Logic pretty much same but diff implementation. Using Ajax is what I have chosen to do so but I have few questions that I couldnt' find the answers to.

Most scripts, found online, uses database with number of votes and total aggragate of vote values, to show the current rating of an item(image, or video or other items).

To use unique voting ie, not to allow same user to vote more than once on one item::simple and easy way is t set cookie on users machine. And here is the question: If an average user views 10 or more images/videos, you would set 10 or more cookies that would refer to each viewed item, in one week that is 70 or more cookies + how many days would you set the cookies for? After all this, cookies have to retire oneday, which implies the same user could stumble on the same item he/she voted 1 week ago or 2 weeks ago, since the cookie has expired he can vote again. All this implies that uniqueness of voiting or rating can not be established logically unless you set the cookies for ever.

Now I know there are many experts here in the forum and I would like to get suggestion on this issue. I personally am against setting unnecessary cookies on valued customers/users. What boils my mind is how youtube sets cookies on videos watched, videos rated. Is youtube setting these cookies for how long? If I am a youtube junky and watch 10 or more videos a day my computer is piled with youtube cookies.

I hope someone will kindly give me some insight on this. thanks

Well I wouldn't class myself as an expert in these matters by any means, but in leiu of anyone else responding, could you not look at restricting votes by IP address? (I know of a number of 'vote for this person' type sites that restrict to one vote per 24 hours, based on their IP address).

Alternatively, if these are regular / valued customers.. are they signing in anywhere? If so, could you not use some form of user data to monitor their voting?

Quote Originally Posted by happy_hands View Post
    Well I wouldn't class myself as an expert in these matters by any means, but in leiu of anyone else responding, could you not look at restricting votes by IP address? (I know of a number of 'vote for this person' type sites that restrict to one vote per 24 hours, based on their IP address).

Alternatively, if these are regular / valued customers.. are they signing in anywhere? If so, could you not use some form of user data to monitor their voting?
    Thanks for reply. Well I am not much concerned with being unique in voting, and also users are not logged(this is for no registration required web site). Intension is only not to let one user vote again, for the duration of session or perhaps set a cookie date for few days.

if you chose user login based tracking, would you keep ALL(?) the rating, viewed items in database is my question and for how long(forever)?
    if you chose no-user-login based using cookies, how long would you set the cookies for?

thanks

Sorry to sound vague and not particularly helpful in my response, but I think the answer to those questions are very much down to the nature of the site and what people are rating!

Is it a 'fashionable' item as such, that would quickly go out of fashion and therefore favour of the person voting (ie clothing choices may change week by week, or even daily.. so that would be how long you might want to keep the preference choices for).

Alternatively, is there any reason why someone would be voting for the same thing, day after day, without realising? So would 24 hours be enough? Or would it be nicer for the user to recognise that they'd already voted for something a month or so before?

I'm not sure how long Amazon keeps your book / product preferences for, or how long it combines user data to make the 'other people were also interested in this' choices.

The session length type thing really is down to what you think would be best, based on what you're displaying, and however useful the timescales are likely to be.

Thread Information