www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Forwarding an acquired website/domain to my existing site?

Cool Forwarding an acquired website/domain to my existing site?

Sorry if the title doesn't make sense of my question, it doesn't seem to be working too well while searching either

Our company has acquired one of our wholesale customers site/domain in exchange for a debt. They sell exactly the same things we do, their domain shows up higher on SE results than ours, and they have been on the web longer as well. The biggest problem is our packaging/labels all say our existing domain, and I am personally quite fond of the shopping cart we have been using on our site as opposed to the new site's (yahoo)

My question is... Is there a way to forward the new domain, along with it's search engine results/rankings/etc to our existing site/domain?

I did find info about 301 redirect, but none of the info applied to my case so any help would be highly appreciated!

It is critical that you modify the old site's htaccess file to route the traffic seamlessly and automatically to the new website. Google and the other search engines MAY decrease your rankings this way, but it's far less risky than using javascript or meta commands to re-route the traffic - if you do it the wrong way, for sure the rankings of the old site will take a major hit in the rankings, and eventually disappear (then you will have nothing). And at the same time Google is deleting the old site, they may also penalize your new site rankings!

The reason for that is Google and the rest are instantly suspicious when they find traffic re-routed via scripts and meta commands - they suspect you are attempting to tamper with their rankings. Conversely, they regard htaccess transitions as legitimate business solutions.

One of my clients decided just a few weeks ago to change domain names, despite being #1 in Google for a few keywords - the client's ex-husband's name was part of her domain name, and the new husband hated being constantly remindered of her prior life, so they changed the name of their business.

Her old website is still #1 today for her most important keyword (even though the traffic is being re-routed automatically via htaccess) but the NEW website is already #3 in the rankings - and I just launched it 12 days ago!

Question: have you considered keeping both websites in operation? Maybe that's a better solution.

Have you pinpointed the reason why the old site is doing better in the rankings?

Consider this: the age of a domain name, and the amount of time left in the domain name registration both impact the rankings - if two sites are basically equal, the one with the older domain name will be ranked higher. And if two sites are basically the same, the one with a longer remaining registration period will be ranked higher.

Whatever you do, it is critical that you do not let that old domain name expire, because a competitor may grab it and take advantage of the fact that a lot of people still might have links to it in their Favorites/Bookmarks.

I'm still learning when it comes to SEO so I don't know exactly why the site we just acquired is higher in the rankings, but they did seem to have done a lot of work trying to get their business out there. Along with their site we also acquired their eBay store as well as their Amazon store, which both show up fairly frequently with some of our choice keywords.

Before I came here, I was set on making the new site we just got act as our retail site while phasing our existing site into being our wholesale only site so in a way I have thought about keeping both sites. The main, and really only problem with that, is our packaging would then be advertising our wholesale address... Which I guess could either be solved by changing our packaging or simply putting a link to our retail site on our wholesale site?

Like I said up top, I'm still learning a lot about web development in general and any help whether it be constructive criticism or personal examples/opinions, any help is appreciated. Thanks again Ruvenite for your time and highly informative post!

Thread Information