www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Loading external xml into html

Post Loading external xml into html

Hi all,

As a relative newcomer in site building, I have a problem that Im trying to find a solution to.

I basically have a site designed to promote music and artists, the layout of which is coded with div tags and css.

In one of these div tags, I plan to have a 'featured' section in where I promote artists, on a weekly rotation.

Ive been trying to figure out how I can contain this content in an external file, and then have it load the content into the html page (within a table, within the div tag). The content consists of text, an image and link for each featured artist.

My first thought was to use an XML file and Javascript, but following the various tutorials etc on the web I haven't been successful. I was wondering is this the right way to do it? Is there a simpler way?

Thanks!

Do not use JavaScript. That would be way bad. JavaScript doesn't work for a lot of users.

Your best bet would be to use whatever server side scripting that you have available to grab the content and include it. If that's an option then you can organize the data in any way that you like. Figure out what scripting you have available and want to use then re-post the question on that board.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Thread Information