www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: graphic resolution

Hybrid View

graphic resolution

-I'm kind of new to web design, so if this is a stupid question, i apologize.
    I used screen grabber to save a frame from an mpeg. The mpeg quality is not all that great. But, when i use this jpeg as a background for the website on my computer the image looks crisp and good. My computer is a 99 emachine with a high color (16 bit) color resolution. When i view the web page on newer computers with better resolution the picture looks like crap. Is there any way i can incorporate an important command to override the users color resolution to default to a high color (16 bit) when they view this site?
    thanks for any help

Re: graphic resolution

Originally posted by jwsg922
    [BIs there any way i can incorporate an important command to override the users color resolution to default to a high color (16 bit) when they view this site?[/B]
    I believe the answer to your question is No. I don't understand why you would get a good quality image from a poor-quality original source on a lesser-quality display. Generally, the lower your resolution, the worse an image is going to look. What does your jpeg look like in a dedicated graphic viewer program?

i opened the image using paint becuase my computer doesn't have adobe. the picture looked allright in paint and on the web page, from my computer. I think the reason why it looks allright is becuase my computer has lower resolution therefore it shows the image in fewer colors, but a higher resolution computer shows grey pixeled halo's in areas that are just black on my computer. These grey blotches are unsightly and disruptive to the black and white image my contact wants. I would convert to a black and white image but the image also has red in it. i figured it was a shot in the dark but thanks for the help.

I've decided to demand a comission from Adobe.

PHOTOSHOP, not Paint, makes clearing up, cleaning, optimizing and touching up images ludicrously easy. Anyway. If you can't get rid of your disruptive grey haloes in Paint by dint of diligent fiddling, why not post me the image so I can fix it?

Alternatively, to imitate a lower-resolution effect, try:
    blurring the image
    lowering its own resolution
    reducing the colors
    depixellating

Oh dear. I've just taken a peep at Paint...
    Oh dear.

There are a variety of image editors downloadable for free. I'll be posting back pretty soon with URL's and software names...

ULEAD PHOTO IMPACT:
    http://download.com.com/3000-2192-10229217.html

PHOTOSHOP 7.0
    http://download.com.com/3000-2192-10...ml?tag=lst-4-3

PAINT SHOP PRO (smallest download)
    http://download.com.com/3000-2192-10...ml?tag=lst-4-1

They're all demo versions. You CAN find pirate versions, but I'm not pointing you in that direction in case I get bumped off this forum for aiding and abetting illegal actions...

Talking

hey, thanks for making my morning! I think i'd rather download and work on the picture myself rather than burden someone else with my labors. i appreciate all the help
    thanks a ton

You're welcome The downloads are pretty huge, but let us know when you're all set, so we can speedwalk you through some of the essential clean-up features...

allright, i went with adobe 7. Where's a good place to start?

It would help if I could see your image, but anyway...
    Various clean-up techniques:
    1) Filter > Dust and Scratches... (increase the pixel value depending on the preview result)
    2) Blur > Gaussian Blur (ditto)
    3) After either of the above, experiment with Sharpen > Unsharp Mask (to make a blurred image crisper)
    4) The brilliant Rubber Stamp tool. With this, you "sample" an area of desirable image (in your case, the non-grey areas), and paint this over the undesirable bits. Especially useful for touching up imperfect models, eradicating cellulite, hairs, scars, bruises, blemishes, etc.
    5) The Blur tool - manually blur areas of the image.
    6) The eraser tool - erase annoying bits of the image. Very yseful also for creating transparency for GIFs, but beware - your picture MUST be a "layer", not a "background" for transparency, otherwise you'll just erase to your background color. Create a layer from a background by double-clicking on the padlock symbol in the layers palette, and "naming" the layer. If it's already a GIF, go to Image > Image Mode > RGB color (as opposed to Index).
    Keep asking, enjoy the best programme in the universe, and forgive the delay - I had meningitis this weekend, and am still reeling from the humiliation...

here's a url for the photo, this might give you an idea of what i'm trying to work with. if your computer has a higher resolution you should see some grey halo's around the street lights, and the red brake lights of the car on the right.
    http://leep.lis.uiuc.edu/publish/cdd...egs/1image.jpg
    have fun, and thanks

I just saw the photo.

ouch!

the levels are shot.

art history brush?
    judicious blurring and smudging?

Heh. Good luck jwsg922 and tigrrboxer!

best,

rhyeguy

Thread Information