www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Navigation menu help

Navigation menu help

hey guys,

i'm a total noob on web design and have been reading and reading but not getting through to my thick skull! I'm trying to do a lot of things but doing them 1 stage at at a time. Right now i'm trying to get my Categories menu sorted but for the love of me i've had to re-install the tempalte 8 times because i'm not sure what i'm doing!!

Basically if you look at the site www.interscrewfix.co.uk and see the column categories i want to try and get it to look like www.screwfix.co.uk browse categories. IF you can notice each of those cats have thier own surrounding box and when you point at them they get highlighted, thats what i want to do but despite finding various methods posted on the net i simply don't know where to include the code or when i do put it in it seems to mess up the site!

Like i said i'm a noob and an easy way out would jus be get someone else to do it but then i wouldn't have actually learnt anything would i!?

Try something like this, I used one of your links as example:
    Code:
    <li><a href="http://interscrewfix.co.uk/categories/Lighting/Ceiling-Lights/" class="navlink">Ceiling Lights</a></li>
    And then in your CSS:
    Code:
    a.navlink {
      display:block;
    }

a.navlink:hover {
      background-color:blue;
      color:white;
    }
    Of course you can pick any color you want, it's the "display:block" that makes the "box", as you call it.

thanks for that mate! Don't want to sound thick here but can i just stick that code in anywhere in html and css or do i need to put them somewhere specific?

Anywhere you like, CSS in your included css file and the HTML just in your page. It's just simple HTML and CSS

Thread Information