www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How can I embed streaming video on HTML page?

Hybrid View

How can I embed streaming video on HTML page?

How can I embed streaming video on HTML page? Will it use lots of bandwidth?

If it's truly streaming, it won't use lots of bandwidth because the load is dispersed.

Tutorial: http://www.tutorialized.com/view/tut...bed-Video/3490

Uuummm.. not exactly sure what is meant by the load being dispersed..??? A streaming video encoded at 400kbps and a progressively downloaded video rendered at 400kbps require exactly the same bandwidth. And that is true whether you have 1 viewer or 1 million.
    So in the spirit of giving back to this Forum for all that I’ve learned here, let me elaborate.
    I guess you could say that streaming video does come out in little bits… but your bandwidth will be the accumulated total of the bits of data (or bytes) sent out from your server. The exact same is true of a server which progressively downloads your video.
    The major difference will be the cost between bandwidth used on a true streaming host verses a standard (progressive download) host. True streaming will be 10 to 20 or more times the cost of standard downloading.
    As an example, lets say that your video is 50 MB. And in one month you have 2000 viewers… that should work out to about 100GB per month… progressive download or streaming… size is the same.
    But let’s look at the cost. Using my favorite streaming host, UpStreamNetworks:
    http://www.upstreamnetworks.com/home...live-streaming
    ….100 GB per month is in the three digit price range.
    Now let’s compare to using progressive downloading using a company like Lunar Pages.
    http://www.lunarpages.com/
    Dang! They are advertising Unlimited Space and Unlimited Bandwidth for less! And yes, I can vouch for them… use them all the time.
    As for the “embed” part, since <embed> doesn’t validate, some of the other posters on the Forum here will eat you alive if you try to use it. My recommendation is to use swfobject or nested <object> instead…. but that’s just me.
    Anyway, hope some of this has been helpful.
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com
    Last edited by KDLA; 03-10-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Yes, you are right. That's what I meant, in a vague blonde way.
    BTW -- I removed prices, since price discussions are banned here.

Hi - just thought I'd leave a note to say these resources are good, useful. Appreciated by another reader.

I'm very much interested in this area, especially with how a browser copes... specifically how the streaming/downloading affects other activities like preloading of images for a JavaScript feature on the same web page. I'm very untutored on this whole subject. I've observed a site give priority to a swf movie downloading activity though the script managing pre-loading of other static images is invoked before the downloading script. There may be another thread in here dealing with this, I'm new to the forum and so will go find it.... sorry if my reply is off topic/in the tutorials/confused
    Last edited by Kelon; 03-13-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Well I hadn't thought about wmode from this respective before but doing so might interest you. Often when Flash is displayed in a Web browser it's given special priority and taken out of the normal flow, depending on it's wmode. This is from a source I quoted in an earlier post.... seems like the link is broke now but here's the gist of it:
    By default, the Flash Player gets its own hWnd in Windows. This means that the Flash movie actually exists in a display instance within Windows that lives above the core browser display window. So though it appears to be in the browser window, technically, it isn't. It is most efficient for Flash to draw this way and this is the fastest, most efficient rendering mode. However, it is drawing independently of the browser's HTML rendering surface. This is why this default mode (which is equivalent to wmode="window") doesn't allow proper compositing with DHTML layers. This is why your JavaScripted drop-down menus will drop behind your Flash movie.
    While this has to do with Flash showing up on top of other items on an html page, it may also explain the loading priority situation you describe.
    For more info Google:
    Window Mode (wmode) - What's It For?
    Here is the other post:
    http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/sh...ght=flash+menu
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

To embed streaming video on HTML page you need to firstly convert your video (AVI, WMV, MPG) into Flash movie format (.FLV) first, and then play it on your HTML page using a flash video player. Check out this video player software for MS-Windows which does both -- it imports your movie file, convert into FLV format, and then you can choose a flash video player skin, it will then either generate a HTML page with the video player embed inside it, or generate a section of HTML code for you to copy and paste into your HTML page. If you don't have much experience with Adobe Flash, then this is a simple and quick solution.

Three professional and powerful software are all available on the market now.
    4Videosoft DVD Ripper Platinum, 4Videosoft iPod to Computer Transfer, 4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum

4Videosoft DVD Ripper Platinum:

1.Easy to use
    4Videosoft DVD Ripper Platinum is really easy to use. The whole process of conversion can be finished in few clicks.
    2.Support all the parameters.
    All the parameters of profile can be provided for you to choose the exact settings for your players.
    3.Support preview
    You can preview both your source video and the effect of converted video before you begin the conversion.
    4.Fastest conversion speed
    Provide the fastest conversion speed (>300&#37, completely support dual core CPU.
    5.Powerful editing functions
    Support the mutual conversion between all the popular video and audio formats;
    extract audio from video;video splitter,video cropper;video joiner;take snapshot.

4Videosoft iPod to Computer Transfer:

1.Transfer iPod to Computer
    4Videosoft iPod to Computer Transfer makes it easy to transfer or backup iPod songs, music, videos to Computer without losing anything.
    2.Discern iPod property automatically
    This software would discern your iPod properties after you connect your iPod, including the iPod type, capacity (used and available space), version, serial number, and format.
    3.Track Filter and quick search
    Find what you want quickly and easily, and sorted by Genre, Artist, Album.
    4.Easy to use
    Only a few step to finish all the transfer from iPod to Computer, connect your iPod, select what you want transfer songs or movies, export to Computer.
    5.Support all iPod devices
    Support iPod, iPod nano, iPod classic, iPod shuffle, iPod touch, iPod Touch 2.x, iPhone, iPhone 3G.

4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum:

1: Easy to use
    4Videosoft Video Converter Platinum is really easy to use. The whole process of conversion can be finished in few clicks.
    2: Support all the parameters
    All the parameters of profile can be provided for you to choose the exact settings for your players.
    3: Support preview
    You can preview both your source video and the effect of converted video before you begin the conversion.
    4: Fastest conversion speed
    Provide the fastest conversion speed (>300%), completely support dual core CPU.
    5.Powerful editing functions
    Support the mutual conversion between all the popular video and audio formats;
    extract audio from video;video splitter,video cropper;video joiner;take snapshot.

http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/

I have used this on quite a few websites. All you need is the code provided on the website, + the video you converted into .flv and you are off and running. You can also use your own custom preview.

http://www.longtailvideo.com/addons/plugins

they also have plugins allowing you to watch stats in google analytics and many others
    Last edited by skilled1; 05-05-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum but need some assist. I have installed a cctv camera for one of my properties but I would like to stream the feed from that camera to my website. I have setup two independent video streams, 1. rstp stream 2. http stream. The problem I am having getting the stream to run in the browser without using the vlc plugin as the users that connect to the stream might not have the vlc plugin.
    1) Does anyone know if you can open anyone of these streams without having to install the entire vlc program?
    2) Is it possible to download only the vlc plugin and not the entire program?
    3) Any other helpful info.

Thanks in advance for any assist.

I was given an m4v file and used a simple embed feature. Most have no problem with it, my mobile won't play it though... Basically that stirred a question: you talk about flv (using flash) but macs/apples/ipads/iphones etc that don't support flash require QuickTime. My windows users who don't use or would never download QuickTime because their wmplayer plays fine won't be able to view it (unless they have the right codec - which is expecting a lot out of everyone in general) YouTube seems to work on all browsers, on all platforms for everyone across the board so what do they use? I don't want to ignore my apple users by using flash (although I love it) so what can we use that will work on everything, mobiles included? I usually just upload to YouTube and use their embed feature but my m4v file is copyrighted so I can't. I need an alternative. Anyone?

Thread Information