dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Flash sound garbled in Firefox but clear in IE

Unhappy Flash sound garbled in Firefox but clear in IE

I am at a loss to explain this but Firefox, Safari garble this sound file but it plays just fine in IE. Here is the URL: http://judetrederwolff.com/indexS.html
    Here is the code:
    <object
    classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
    codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0"
    id="asWeGo"
    width="2" height="2"
    >
    <param name="movie" value="asWeGo.swf">
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF">
    <param name="quality" value="high">
    <param name="loop" value="false">
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
    <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="samedomain">
    <embed
    type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"
    name="asWeGo"
    width="2" height="2"
    src="asWeGo.swf"
    bgcolor="#FFFFFF"
    quality="high"
    loop="false"
    wmode="transparent"
    allowscriptaccess="samedomain"
    >

<noembed>
    </noembed>
    </embed>
    </object>

As a workaround I made this page to detect the browser and use an embedded mp3 file, but that is not good and why would a Flash file not play right in Firefox. http://judetrederwolff.com/indexSd.html

Here is the code snippet:<embed src="asWeGo.mp3" type="application/x-mplayer2" autostart="true" playcount="true" loop="true" height="0" width="0">

I have some Flash files on the same site that play fine so I can't understand it. Anyone have this experience and found a way to correct it?

Must say that I've never seen that before..!!
    Here are my observations. First, after retreiving the asWeGo.swf from my Temp Internet Cache and opening directly in the Flash player, sound is garbeled, just like in FF. So perhaps the problem is not FF but the .swf.
    After testing a few of the songs from your site I noticed "SwishZone" in the title. Was asWeGo.swf created using SwishMax or some other program and not the actual Flash program?
    My guess... the problem is in the .swf, it's creation or file conversion, because it is not in the code posted above.
    EfV

Thanks Efv

I did used SwishMax2 to create the swf file, but I have used it many times before and the files seemed to be just like those created with Flash. Also the same file plays in IE7 without being garbled. Maybe something changed in the last versions of Firefox v3.0.7 and Safari v4 which Swish has not caught up with. It is usually IE that runs amock but I use XP and not VISTA so maybe it won't run in that either. Thanks for testing the swf file. I will check and see if there are any new updates for SwishMax2. Thanks for taking the time to help.

While the file may seem just like those created with Flash... it doesn't play in my stand-alone Flash player. So as a Flash developer, I'm not convinced that FF has it wrong. Maybe for some crazy reason, IE has it wrong... but this time it works!... imagine that!!
    I also tested in IE 6 and it works and FF 2.0.0.14 and it works. On another machine with IE7 ... works, FF 2.0.0.11 ..garbeled.
    Tested in stand-alone actual Flash player on both machines... garbled.
    If the actual Flash player won't play it... that's a problem. My suggestion..?? Redo the file. Hopefully you have the original audio recording and it won't be too big a deal.
    Good luck,
    EfV

thanks again

Hi Efv,
    I really appreciate your doing all those tests. I checked and SwishMax 2 did have an upgrade so I did that. Then I took the original mp3 file and imported into SwishMax again. I tested it with FF, Safari and IE7 and got the same results so I looked for another solution. I found a program that would convert the mp3 file to wav and I embedded that file into the page. It played fine on FF, Safari and IE7 so I left it at that.
    I used to have the Flash program (back when Macromedia owned it), but I found Swish and it had worked fine and it is much cheaper than Flash so I just kept upgrading it. I hope this just a fluke and not a sign Swish is not going to work in the future because I don't do enough video or audio for client's Websites to justify buying Flash. Well, again, thanks for your help.
    Petmo

Thread Information