www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: IE7 and Up/Down Arrows

IE7 and Up/Down Arrows

When IE7 came out, I personally made the switch from IE to FF. The reason is that I like to play online flash games. In IE7, they made the decision to make the up and down arrows scroll the window up and down regardless if the user has clicked on the flash media or not. This is a break from IE6 and every other browser I have used.

This hasn't mattered until I started my own online game website. It was easy for me to solve the problem personally because I just made the switch from IE7 to FF. However, I'm not sure most people that use my website know to make that switch and they might get annoyed and go somewhere else.

Does anyone know of a way to programatically disable this "feature" in IE7? Maybe through JavaScript? If a person is playing a game I want the arrow keys to not scroll up and down but just let the person play the game...

Thanks in advance.

Turns out the <param> tag in the <object> tag with name 'wmode' was causing this bug in IE7. I removed it and the problem seems to go away with no negative impact.

The IE8 browser is ready now. What do you think about arrows in IE8?

They worked in IE8, but I kept the wmode out. However, I'm not happy with IE8 so far. I think it sucks like a kid using a straw.

Thread Information