dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Password-type text-field problem

Password-type text-field problem

I have a member login on my website that requires the user to enter a Username and a Password. The password text field is type="password". The problem i have is that on I.E. the password text field appears smaller than the normal 'Username' text field even though they are the same size.

I have tried to make it one character bigger which makes it look almost the same size PROBLEM HERE is that on FireFox it now appears bigger.

I have been told that if i change my webpage to XHTML it would solve the problem - but i cannot afford to waste time on such a challenge since i would have more than 40 pages to change....

Is there any other solution to this problem??

P.S. I HATE I.E.!

You could try using conditional comments.

how?

Ok - it works terribly... on some browsers both versions show up...
    Is there no other way though??? Seems a bit sloppy...
    Last edited by ARozanski; 03-16-2009 at 06:03 PM.

You could just change that page to xhtml if that was a presented solution before. No need to change all other pages to match if you don't wish to.

How do i change JUST the login to XHTML without changing the whole page???

In your first post you said you would have to change over 40 pages to xhtml. Why not just change the one that is causing you trouble? Do you have all 40+ pages in the same page or something?

Every page has the login form :-(

Now i dont mind changing the login form on every page...but changing the WHOLE page is just a time consuming mission

Why do you have the login page on every page? I guess I'm a little confused about why you would duplicate that much code over that many pages. What happens if you need to change the layout of the login page? You would need to open and modify each and every page that has that code in it.

Its one of those little login boxes on the side...the truth is that i have the login on only 4 pages. But i have the website in 10 different languages...now - changing JUST the login form is a piece of cake...it is only like 10 lines of code and i would copy/past it on every page...i wish IE wasn't such a piece of &%#. if only users realised how much effort developers have to put in just to make their sites work on IE...we should ALL move to FireFox...

Quote Originally Posted by ARozanski View Post
    I have been told that if i change my webpage to XHTML it would solve the problem
    That's not true.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Mate - i have no idea...I am very new to this. This is what i have been told from a random source. Please can you give another solution to this problem??

Quote Originally Posted by ARozanski View Post
    Ok - it works terribly... on some browsers both versions show up...
    Is there no other way though??? Seems a bit sloppy...
    "Both" versions show up? What do you mean?

HTML Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="site.css">
    <!--[if IE]>
    <style type="text/css">
    #LoginPass { font-size: ... }
    </style>
    <![endif]-->
    <input type="password" id="LoginPass" name="loginPass">
    That's just an example, but it might illustrate how to use them.

As for fixing it by changing everything to XHTML, whoever told you that was merely trying to steer you in the direction of XHTML. Changing from one markup language to an extremely similar markup language won't fix your issues with browsers. After all, markup is used for structure. CSS is used to control and refine how things appear.

Thread Information