www.webdeveloper.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: weird symbols in html

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26

    weird symbols in html

    Hi there...i am using dreamweaver to design my site and one of the problems i am having is that on some of my pages the symbol comes out like � or any other random symbol.

    I read up that you had to change character set to UTF-8 - it was already on UTF...i tried to play around with the character set - nothing changed. I checked on the pages where the came out properly and it i couldnt find a relevant difference that would cause that...

    thanks in advance for any help

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    225
    Just write © which is the html code for

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    tried that...tried everything i could - even the © gives me the weird symbol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    12,279
    This is a Dreamweaver issue, perhaps the folks on the Dreamweaver forum can help. Dreamweaver doesn't really use HTML so any help we could give wouldn't really apply.
    The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.
    Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    Thing is, that even if i try to edit the html file without dreamweaver - it still does the same. I dont know what to do...i will check the Dreamweaver site for this issue - but i dont think thats going to help much...

    Cheers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    381
    Those symbols look familiar to me... Are you saving your pages with a BOM (byte order mark)?

    Debug test if you can't find any problems: Try adding this to an affected page and click on the button (it should say "UTF-8" at the end, with "1" as the first message) -
    Code:
    <span id="copyProblem">&copy;</span>
    <input type="button" onclick="testIssue()" value="Test!" />
    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--//--><![CDATA[//><!--
    function testIssue() {
    alert(document.getElementById('copyProblem').firstChild.nodeValue.length);
    alert(document.characterSet);
    }
    //--><!]]>
    </script>
    </body>
    Last edited by rpgfan3233; 03-21-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Explanation.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    DUDE! It worked... Thank you so much! it was the (BOM) thing...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center



Recent Articles