www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Yahoo! blocklist

Yahoo! blocklist

Some time ago my political party, The PVP, had a problem with sending mail from our shared-hosting domain to Yahoo! addresses. It turned out that we had been arbitrarily blocked by Yahoo!'s membership of an anti-spam "club" operated by an American firm called Barracudacentral working in partnership with Emailreg.com - also American.

As you might imagine we contacted Barracudacentral and, after a - let's say animated - discussion were removed from the block list without having to stump up the $20 fee that was being demanded by Emailreg.com. We're pretty sure that copying them into our email complaint to the American Embassy was instrumental in gaining their co-operation.

Now we're being blocked again, this time by Yahoo! themselves and we are getting repeated 421 error codes which Yahoo! says is because they have either seen unusual traffic from a domain or because of complaints from users. Neither Barracudacentral nor Emailreg are involved this time as far as we can determine. I've checked Spam Haus and Spam Cop and found that we do not appear on any block lists.

The PVP does not, as a matter of basic policy, spam anyone and the main correspondence has so far, because we are only a very new party, been between myself and the party's founder at his home email address. So, either we have been the subject of a malicious complaint by a rival political party or Yahoo! has taken it upon itself to decide that we are a spam risk. Either way up, our attempts so far to get any kind of meaningful response from Yahoo! have been fruitless.

Is anyone else out there, who uses shared hosting, getting the "421" problem from Yahoo!? If so, The PVP has decided that the practice of arbitrary domain blocking is unacceptable in a world where communication is key to the democratic process and we intend to take the matter to Parliament as a formal representation. As far as we are concerned, getting rid of spam should be the responsibility of the end-user, which is why the likes of Yahoo! and their ilk provide spam boxes in the first place. Are they, then, saying that these end-user features do not actually work?

If you have the Yahoo! 421 problem and are ready to take action to get it stopped please get in touch with me either on-page or via the PM system.
    Share on Google+

Yeah well you see, that is the problem with spammers... they feel that THEIR product or service is exempt from being considered 'spam' or solicitous and cry foul when treated as such. I know that political affiliations and polling centers are exempt from the 'do not call' list, but I personally disagree with that. The last time a 'political party' person called me at home to solicit my support and opinion of a party candidate, I requested that this poll-giver allow me several hours to think about my answer and also give me their personal home phone number so that I could call them later that evening and give them my answer.
    They said that they can't do that. I responded that it must be that they do not want to be called at home either... and they hung up.
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE
    Share on Google+

Not being funny but what makes you think I am spamming?

I am only emailing one person and that person it the party founder, IF you had comprehended the post, you would soon begin to see that Yahoo are bullying people in to coughing up $20 for unblocking whatever email domain they are sending from.

So please tell me how me emailing the party founder at his BTinternet account is spam when the founder of the party is being flooded with SPAM from yahoo mail? BTW Yahoo run British Telecoms email services.

Like I said, not being funny with you but you have completely missed the point, SPAM is for the end-user to deal with.

If you did a search on the internet and looked at yahoo email issues in particular, you will see that you will get between 32 ~ 55 million or more results of complaints spanning nearly 20 years. This is a problem that has gone unchecked and I can not help wondering how many businesses have lost sales on-line because of the way Yahoo operates.

Ask yourself who put yahoo in charge.

I am not the only person that is finding this, theirs 23,000 other hosting companys that have the same problem and they are dotted around the world and our hosting company have confirmed that yahoo refuse point blank to unblock the servers they run unless they cough up a stupid serious amount of money off the host.

In my eyes, what yahoo are doing is extorting money out of businesses and also the end users of those hosts. How many people have paid the $20 for something that they have a right to do, send email.

All I was asking for was people intrested in helping bring a class action agains yahoo and get them dragged before a commons hearing, we will be pushing this agenda as we know that SPAM can be easily dealt with a different way and that only needs a little bit f coding and not extorting money out of people.

Simply put, THIS MUST STOP.

So anyone who has paid up, been bullied or given the run around by yahoo, please make yourselves known.
    Share on Google+

Don't think this is going anywhere productive. Thread closed.
    54 68 65 42 65 61 72 4D 61 79
    Share on Google+

Thread Information