dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need to script, can I? Where should I start?

Need to script, can I? Where should I start?

Hello, I work for an education company that doesn't have a super large budget. I've been asked recently to make available to schools (our clients)some information that can be viewed before and/or after their visits to incorporate data and information we gather/teach to keep things applicable and current with what they are teaching.

Basically I want to be able to keep this as automated as possible. I am self-taught with HTML and have been comfortable with the basics of scripting for a while. I have several editors that help me deal with some of these things like Dreamweaver and whatnot. Right now, I'm ready to have a form to page script where some daily or weekly data can be posted to a fairly simple page with raw data. I was asked if we could include some graphs where we could track this cumulative data over time.

I know I could manually take the numbers punch it into, say excel and have a graph made up that I could translate to the website, but I'm sure it must be possible to have a script that could take the values of a field and translate that to a graph or another script that could take the numbers and make a graph for viewing.

I'm certainly not adverse to reading up on ways on how to accomplish something like this, but it'd certainly be helpful if someone could point me in the right direction. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone had any insight for me to start from.

Thanks for your time guys.

Google for graph apps

Google has a really suave API for generating charts: http://code.google.com/apis/chart/

Thread Information