dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Instant download or not

Instant download or not

Just looking for input/opinions. I have some items that I want to sell as digital downloads. I know I can do this with zencart/paypal etc...but then I've never worked with those things and have heard stories about people finding links to your download section etc. I don't know how to protect against that...plus there's SSL stuff, installing the cart etc...I am no wizard about that stuff.

Is it bad form to sell someone a digital download, say through paypal, and then once the order is received just email them the download instead of providing a link to the download? The downside is there could be a delay, especially if they ordered at 2am...but they would definitely get their order within 12 hours worst case.

Thoughts?

You really ought to provide a download link upon payment.

Is it bad form to sell someone a digital download, say through paypal, and then once the order is received just email them the download instead of providing a link to the download?
    Yes, it is bad. I'd be sure to NEVER buy anything from such a site again. In my own personal experience, I buy a download when I need something in a rush. If I want a book, I'd usually head to the bookstore - if I NEED a book, I'll buy an ebook. And if I do infact NEED a book, I don't want to wait til the webmaster's gotten out of bed, or in from work.

For information on securing your download files, see the following link
    http://www.apptools.com/phptools/force-download.php
    (Towards the bottom)

For information on processing payments with PayPal, do a Google for:
    PayPal IPN

Using, for instance, PayPal, PHP, MySQL and a little .htaccess it isn't that big of a job to create an non-tangible goods store AND secure your files at the same time.

Stay clear of tutorials that promote making a randomly named copy of your original file, the htaccess tutorial at the link above, combined with a Database can restrict access to users who have been authorised.

Hope that helps.

I agree. Right on, thanks for the info.

Thread Information