www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Deactivate the Navigation Link to the Current Page?

Deactivate the Navigation Link to the Current Page?

Is there an automatic way to shut off the link to the page currently being viewed?

For example, on the "FAQ" page, the link to "FAQ" in the navigation would be inactive. On the "Home" page, the link to "Home" would be inactive.

In the past, I have gone through each page and deactivated the appropriate link. However, on larger sites, this is simply not feasible.

FYI, I use Dreamweaver, but I'm comfortable delving into the code if necessary. However, I'd prefer the WYSIWYG way if it exists.

I doubt it is possible in WYSI(N)WYG, and get's pretty complex in code. What you need to do is check what page you are currently on (by getting the top.location.href) and compair it to something you specified in the link. I have used ID's in the past. You up for that?? I'm not sure if I have time to write the whole script for you, but can help you if you need it.

Re: Deactivate the Navigation Link to the Current Page?

Originally posted by vmarasigan
    Is there an automatic way to shut off the link to the page currently being viewed?
    When you say deactivate, does it require that the link doesn't work at all, or is it enough that it changes appeareance to make it highly visable where you are?

To understand what I mean, look eg at the navigation on this site

http://texturizer.net/phoenix/tips.html

It uses CSS to automatically shadow the link to the page you are on currently (but you can still click the link).

Stefan,

That's pretty much what I am looking for. Some visual indicator that the current page is the highlighted link.

Does the link you showed me explain how to achieve that?

Thread Information