www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Satellite Internet and tethering?

Satellite Internet and tethering?

I'm pretty clueless on this stuff, but yesterday my brother's friend was over with his iPhone and in my room he was looking up stuff online and I was like wait... we don't have wifi, how are you doing that? I guess he has satellite Internet? I figured it'd have to be expensive but he says he has some plan that is like... phone + Internet for $30 (albeit the Internet is pretty limited.) And he seemed a bit unsure on this since he has never personally done it, but he says you can (or will be able to soon) tether into a laptop/desktop and run it off of there as well?

Does anyone know anything about this stuff? I need a phone soon anyway so might as well get some Internet on it if it's not super expensive. And my MP3 player is starting to f up so I will probably need a new one of those soon. I've kind of been rebelling against the all-in-one iPhone type stuff but they do seem to have some advantages... the major one being that I carry my MP3 player everywhere so having a separate phone would just mean more stuff to carry.

PS. I live right outside Chicago so I don't think getting signal would be a problem, he lives out in the boonies and says he has problems out there but never has problems around my house.

Many cell phone plans offer internet access as part of a package. The state police (for which one of my relatives works) in my state have this plan, in order to run laptops/do searches whereever they are in the state, within the confines of their cruisers or on site. They do tether it to a signal by inserting a card into the laptop - it looks like a wireless card but with a small telephone antenna that can be moved around to increase the signal.
    Connection speed/reliance is about as good as dial-up (at least with the AT& T and Cingular that they've tried). Sometimes bad weather causes disruptions of service. Best thing about it is the portability.

Hmm. My brother's friend says he gets way faster than dial-up speeds, but not quite DSL. He showed me a few page loads and they looked fairly quick.

It may depend on where you live; I live in a fairly rural state.

Hmm. One interesting thing about reading up on tethering is they keep talking about tethering to laptops, but never to desktops. I'd imagine it can't be any more complicated to get it to work on a desktop, would it? But it doesn't seem like anyone is doing that.

I would guess it would be due to the decrease in home desktop usage; from my observance, desktops seem to be strictly a "work" thing now.
    If your desktop did have a wireless card slot, seems that tethering would be possible.

Yeah I'm a little confused by if this stuff needs a wifi card on the actual PC or not.

http://isoftcom.com/products/imodem/

It says... "Use iPhone (and iPhone 3G) as 3G, EDGE, GPRS, WI-FI modem for PC." but I'm not totally sure what that means.

Hmm, though this makes it seem like as long as you have USB, you're set...

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/imod...over-usb-cable

Thread Information