www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Just a few basic newbie questions...

Hybrid View

Just a few basic newbie questions...

I'm working on learning javascript. I'm just a beginner on the programming end, but have been doing html/css stuff for about 8 years now.

My question is pretty simple: What the heck version of javascript should i be learning?!?

The books i'm working out of seem to all be using version 1.2 or 1.3, but in looking for reference stuff online, everything seems to be 1.5 oriented, though there's a lot of stuff on versions up to 1.9.

Tried to decipher what I needed from Wikipedia, the ECMA standard, and the Mozilla developer pages, but to no avail.

I'm sure learning the older version gives me a solid foundation, but is there someplace I can find some kind of comparison charts?

Also, what is the newest acceptable version that has the most cross-browser compatibility?

Any input here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

on my opinion i wouldn't say to always use the latest version of javascript, that might depend whether or not the environment in which is used the application support the used version or not. however, on the web is commonly used version 1.5 - 1.6 because is the more spread. here is a link that can be of interest to you http://javascript.about.com/library/bljver.htm
    my mom is javascript, dad is javascripter, granpa is javascriptor, and my little sister is javasRidiculous.
    my nature language is javascript, then come spanish and english -- me

Thread Information