www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Javascript problems

Javascript problems

I have purchased a couple of CSS templates & I am trying to upload to my server.

One problem though. I am new to CSS so this may be my mistake but the jquery items won’t work when I upload to the server. They work fine locally.

I also customised the site with spry widgets but again this does not work on the server.

Is there a problem with the JavaScript. Or am I doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Glenn

can't help you with the part of javascript frameworks (jQuery, Prototype, Mootools, or whatever). however, common mistake is wrong reference to resource. in other words, the path to resource doesn't match when uploaded to server. this most likely happen when path are absolute. this can happen either in css stylesheets, html code or javascript code.

JavaScript Problems

Thanks for the quick reply!

I shall check the path again. Everything else works fine though - css stylesheets & flash media also.

I have the JavaScript files located in a folder called Js. Is this the best practice?

to me, it don't matter where you place it. make no difference if files are located in directory "js", "jsfile", "resource", or whatever. the point is that if your HTML document need a resource (whatever resource, js file, image file, stylesheet file, video, flash, anything) make sure that the path is correct in the web server.

take for example. if i were working on My Documents of a Windows system and i reference a file in the Desktop. probably the path to the file is "file:///c:/Documents%20and%20Settings/user_profile/Desktop/filename.ext". obviously this is a wrong path when uploaded to server. this most likely happen when using web authoring application. this isn't only true for HTML document, it apply to any type of file that read URL (stylesheets, js file, html document, etc...).

if possible, show us a live link. maybe some obvious mistake can be catch. if the problem really reside in your jQuery, my apologies. can't help with it, i don't use frameworks.

JavaScript Problems

Hi,

here is the link I have uploaded:

http://www.glennnorwood.co.uk/Franci...ml/prices.html

It looks fine - but the '£' signs have not rendered & the 'details' link should display more info when clicked.

The template example is here:

http://www.designer.rs/demo/vintage/portfolio.html

You can download the site at:

glennnorwood.co.uk/francisNeill.zip

Many Thanks

Glenn

Thread Information