www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: in vbscript

Angry in vbscript

I am looking for a VBScript
    I need to open an excel file from my web site
    how can i do it...
    I dont need a page with a link...
    I am looking for a vbscript that when i will run the script the excel file will open me...

How can i do it ?

thank you

What exactly are you trying to do? This isn't exactly descriptive.

Are you looking to just open and display an excel file in the browser?
    Are you looking for the later half of this, meaning if there is a link that you click you want it to pop up with a save/open prompt?

Exclamation hi there

Quote Originally Posted by Kuriyama View Post
    What exactly are you trying to do? This isn't exactly descriptive.

Are you looking to just open and display an excel file in the browser?
    Are you looking for the later half of this, meaning if there is a link that you click you want it to pop up with a save/open prompt?
    well i am looking for a script to run the ASP file and the file will open me...
    I am not looking for a way to put a link i want that everytime the script will run ...the file will open...

Quote Originally Posted by ehud36new View Post

well i am looking for a script to run the ASP file and the file will open me...
    I am not looking for a way to put a link i want that everytime the script will run ...the file will open...
    Still really hasn't answered my question but that's alright.

There are a few ways of opening an excel file with the browser, but all of them have advantages and disadvantages.

http://www.w3schools.com/ASP/prop_contenttype.asp

This is one way of doing it. You are basically creating an excel file using ASP, meaning there is no .xls file that exists on the server. This does not create an excel file on the server file system.

If you are trying to read from an excel file on the server you can do this by using the link above but just including that file via HTML include <!- #include file="blah.xls"- -->

This sort of thing is a lot easier if you just create the excel file on using ASP. The reason being is that you don't have to worry about locking down excel files so that they can not be downloaded and all that sort of stuff.

I hope this helps.

Thread Information