dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How complex/difficult would this be?...

Question How complex/difficult would this be?...

A customer wants to start up an advertising site for home maintenance contractors to purchase ad space in return for a promise of having their ad go out to millions of people on the internet.

First off he wants to only have 10 contractors per category (painters, electricians, etc...) and he wants it to be automatic billing through a shopping cart, but once it reaches 10 in the category he wants the function to sign up in that category to automatically disappear.

Secondly, he doesn't want the categories to show up in the directory until a contractor signs up in that category. So if he only has a painter, the only category that will show will be "Painters", but then if an electrician signs up that night, the new category "Electricians" will show.

Thirdly, he wants to have the proposed ad sent to him by the contractor, then when he approves it, he wants to be able to upload it on his own into the respective category.

What do you web design experts think of this?

I'm gonna write this reply in a language I like to call Minky-code (minky being one of my many nicknames); it's not PHP (although it isn't far off), it's not JavaScript, and it's not pseudo code; it's a composite of the three. It's just the way I write code when I'm just trying to get an algorithm onto paper, without being fussy about correct terminology, what language I'm using, or spelling mistakes. 'Why am I going to write in Minky-code?' I hear you plead; because I'm tired, and I haven't had a caffeine fix in more than five minutes! Which is also the reason I'm rambling on and not getting to the point. Now that my caffeine craving rant has subsided, I'll move onto the whole reason I made this post in the first place:

Wherever you put the button to sign up to a category you put something like:
    $result = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE category = "whatevercategory"');
    $signedup = mysql_num_rows($result);
    if ($signedup<10) {
    echo 'Link to signup page';
    }

Where the category links are displayed, you need something like this for each category:
    $result = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE category = "whatevercategory"');
    $signedup = mysql_num_rows($result);
    if ($signedup>0) {
    echo 'link to category';
    }

as for sending the applications for him to approve and upload, perhaps you want to add a field to the database table which specifies whether the advert has been approved, then create another page which the client will run. the clients page could display all records from the database which have not yet been approved, after the client has viewed him, there could be a button to approve or disapprove the advert, and then the appropriate action can be taken.

Woohoo; I can get another coffee!!...

I think the hardest part of this project is the promise that the ads will "...go out to millions of people on the internet."

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
    I think the hardest part of this project is the promise that the ads will "...go out to millions of people on the internet."

Dave
    I agree, but at least that part isn't my problem, but that's what he promises on the website.

Your question was how difficult would the task be. The answer? It depends on your programming knowledge. For me, the project would be fairly simple although somewhat time consuming. You would need to setup a backend for the client to manage advertisers and a database to store your data.

What is your programming skill level?

My programming knowledge is less than adequate. I can handle forms in PHP, loops, but to create a CMS such as a forum or Wordpress is way beyond my scope.

How time consuming would it be for a professional like yourself? I ask because it was conveyed to me that he wanted it up rather quickly (within a week) and judging from our conversation it didn't seem like he had a big budget.

Thread Information