dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: ASP or PHP

ASP or PHP

I have a web server at my disposal with IIS installed. I am probably going to have to develop a web site for a client to manage billing information hosted and administrated by us. I have used PHP before to develop a webside for COllege which involved upload and storing file etc but that was 2 years ago. I used PHP and found it very eeasy to learn and use.

My question is
    a) can i use PHP with IIS easily enough
    b) Should i use stick with PHP which i have an idea of or should i learn ASP to run on the IIS server

Thanks in advance

ASP is basically dead having been replaced some years ago by .NET, only legacy sites now use ASP. There are a range of languages that can be used with .NET including PHP.

Thanks for the response. You'll have to excuse my ignorance.

So I take it ASP.Net and ASP and two completely different languages. Would you recommend ASP.Net or PHP.

Either can pretty much do the same jobs. PHP is generally more portable as anything .NET is tied to Microsoft environments, and therefore PHP (in conjunction with other open-source software like Apache and Linux) can keep your costs lower when working on a very limited budget. Since you already have the MS/IIS server, that should not be an issue in this case (unless there is any possibility you might want to port what you're working on to a non-MS platform at some point).

If you want to make it a learning project that will give you more marketable skills, you could look into implementing it using C#.NET, or even JSP (Java) as they are probably the most in-demand languages right now in general in the IT world.

Me, I'd probably do it in PHP since that's what I know best.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks, i think ill take advantage of the fact that i have MS/IIS server available. There seems to be a bit of demand for develpers with ASP.Net experience here and i'd like to get into commercial development so any bit of experience with ASP.Net would be beneficial.

I don't know much about JSP so i didn't even consider that, i have also considered a java applet but i was never very good at java

Thread Information