www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help Editing Site Content w/o losing flash header

Help Editing Site Content w/o losing flash header

Hi everyone, I thought I was purchasing a unique website from a developer found off Craigslist, days later I discovered that It was a template(not mad yet) and that the guy didn't even change the stock flash photo on the entry page. (Now I'm a bit bothered). He's M.I.A. obviously so I have two questions-

I've tried to edit content (words) and every time I do after I save it the flash header now longer loads. I have to restore from a backup to have a working website. WHY? Is it because both my HTML editor and my server's edit option don't support flash- ie when I save it it save without the flash? What is a solution for this?

Also, since this site has been regergitated a billion times, eventually I'll need to change the header. How difficult will this be? Thanks every one in advance.

Without seeing the page and/or code, it's hard to assess the situation. Regardless, the Flash banner will still be just a peice of page content that should be easily replacable, just like anything else on the page.
    Not sure what you mean by
    both my HTML editor and my server's edit option don't support flash
    What is there to stop you from editing in some Flash content any place on the page you choose? Sounds like a problem with your HTML editor and/or server's edit option as well as with your Web site template. There may be some other issue related to a missing file or pathing instead of not supporting Flash.
    EfV

Back to square one then. Here is the site www.astepupstairways.com

Any attemp I've made at editing text has caused the header not to load.
    (1 item remaining meesage in bottom left) and it just never happens.

I don't know anything about flash. I assumed that it didn't support it due to the fact that when I open the html file to edit, the header doesn't appear. Maybe that's normal, I thought the two mayt be related.

If after looking at the site you have any suggestions....

The page loads up perfectly fine here - Flock & IE8.

Some editors do not load flash in the preview screen. Take Dreamweaver for example - if you src a flash video or header, it will not show anything until opened in a browser.

Instead you will get a yellow box with a Flash logo in it!

Screen Shots

- Flock
    - IE8
    Last edited by wlwd; 05-10-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks for looking. Good to know it at least works for other folks too.

It works here too, however, If I were to chancge one word in the text below,
    The header would disapear on the reload. So everytime I 've attempted to change the text I ultimately end up reverting back to an older backup of the original.

What are you using to do the editing and how are you uploading that updated file to your server?
    Since the Flash file is already on the server, there should not be any problem with it showing up again.
    For testing purposes, perhaps you could create a index2, the broken version, upload and let us see that. it won't be available to the public and you can take it down when done.
    EfV

Quote Originally Posted by cdnfthree View Post
    It works here too, however, If I were to chancge one word in the text below, The header would disapear on the reload. So everytime I 've attempted to change the text I ultimately end up reverting back to an older backup of the original.
    I've just grabbed the file and changed all of the text at the bottom - reloads fine!?

See here.

I used the file manager of my hosting service. I will try to pull the content to my computer and edit it - then reload it

thank you wlwd. Obviously the File Manager isn't the best way to make changes.

Second Q: Can that stock photo in the flash header be changed pretty easily?

Unless you have the flash .fla file, it's pretty hard to change what's already in the .swf... unless there is an .xml config or data file for the .swf that came with the site..
    EfV

Ok, I have several .swf and I also have a Blindalpha.fla I'll try to find a program to open it with.

An .fla file is a Flash file, opens in Flash and can be edited.. the .swfs also Flash but are the compiled version of the .fla and are not really editable.
    EfV

Thanks everyone, you've solved my woes. Haven't fixed the flash yet but everything else is fine

Thread Information