www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Testimonials

Testimonials

I recently set up testimonials on a client's website using random text (PHP). The client wants the testimonials to change very five seconds (without having to refresh the page). I want to do this without using images/flash. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks!

this is a random quote generator I built years ago... the var quotnum is the number of filled in results (notice it goes to 20, but only 15 are filled in, so i put 15 as the var

Code:
    var quotnum = "20";

var kender = new Array(1000);
    kender[0]="Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.<br>-- William Faulkner";
    kender[1]="Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest.<br>-- Mark Twain";
    kender[2]="All that is gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.<br>-- J.R.R. Tolkein";
    kender[3]="The optimist sees opportunity in every danger; the pessimist sees danger in every opportunity.<br>-- Winston Churchill";
    kender[4]="Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.<br>-- Thomas Dewar";
    kender[5]="Prejudice is the child of ignorance.<br>-- William Hazlitt";
    kender[6]="When people go to work, they shouldn't have to leave their hearts at home.<br>-- Betty Bender";
    kender[7]="I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.<br>-- Anonymous";
    kender[8]="Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.<br>-- Mother Teresa";
    kender[9]="It is not good enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well.<br>-- Rene Descartes";
    kender[10]="Man's mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions.<br>-- Oliver Wendell Holmes";
    kender[11]="If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.<br>-- George S. Patton, Jr";
    kender[12]="The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live.<br>-- Joan Borysenko";
    kender[13]="It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.<br>-- Emiliano Zapata";
    kender[14]="There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.<br>-- Oscar Wilde";
    kender[15]="";
    kender[16]="";
    kender[17]="";
    kender[18]="";
    kender[19]="";

var arandomn=Math.random() * quotnum;
    arandomn=Math.round(arandomn);
    var quote =kender[arandomn];

document.write("<div style=\"text-align: center; font-size: 85%; width: 720px;\"><i>"+quote+"</i></div>");
    all you will need to do is edit the document.write to include a 5 second countdown

Thank you for the response! Unfortunately, I'm mainly a designer so I'm not sure how I'm going to put the 5 second countdown. Could anyone help?

Thread Information