www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Want to do a new, clean FIREFOX install

Exclamation Want to do a new, clean FIREFOX install

I have taken every update that Firefox has offered, have about a dozen extensions and some kewl toys & tools. Sometimes, Firefox is slow to load, or 'freezes' when starting-up or starts up minimized as this little tiny box in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, etc. It should not take a minute+ to start Firefox. Sometimes it takes 30-seconds usually twice that, other times for no reason it takes several minutes. I have run several anti-virus and malware tests, all clean.

Proposed was to do a CLEAN new install of Firefox. Not 'over-write' but to remove Firefox, and install again the current version. I see to not have any Adobe Flash or Shockwave in Firefox 3.0.10, and attempting to download these *exe extensions from Mozilla gets some message about being 'Unable to open the file. Try another location' error, no matter where I place the download.

I would not be adverse to having to find & install all my preferred plugins and extensions again, but my question is this:

Would "uninstalling" Firefox remove my current bookmarks? I don't want to lose those. After an install, if the bookmarks are left alone in their current location, would they be re-integrated into the new install of Firefox? I am tired of trying to make Firefox work, currently it's clunkiness is rivaled only by IE. I think I need to install a FRESH version and start over. FYI; the version of Firefox I am using now has been 'updated' ever since the version .8x Yes, -I have been using Firefox even before the milestone v 1.0, and what I'm using now has been continuously 'updated' and never 're-installed' as 'new.' Time to have a new Fx.
    Last edited by WebJoel; 05-09-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

Bookmarks > Organise Bookmarks
    In the window go:
    Import and Backup > Backup
    Save somewhere easy to find.

That will keep your bookmarks safe, I don't think your profile will be lost with a reinstall, but if you are experience a slow speed I would delete the profile after backing everything important up, but that's me.
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

AHH! YES! And a healthy does of "d-OH!" for not realizing what 'import and backup - backup' was good for... Sheez... this is gonna be easy!
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

Thread Information