www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: CMS Question

Inga. is offline Motstånd är meningslöst

CMS Question

We are looking at doing a couple of sites using CMS tools. We've looked around and came up with either Silverstripe or Joomla for these projects. Before we invest a lot of time into learning one or the other, I thought I could solicit a few opinions about the options.

First off, we want to have something with e-commerce capabilities, blogging, and forums at a minimum.

Secondly, there is the question of the look of the interface. We want to avoid being stuck into using something too rigid or generic looking. So, being able to create a distinctive graphical look is important. Though, functionality is more important in the end.

Joomla
    With Joomla, we saw this tool that could be used to create a custom interface http://www.artisteer.com/ Obviously, it is limited, but perhaps makes it easier to create a somewhat unique look?

However, I was looking at the Joomla site quite a bit and there are so many extensions that do the same thing or nearly the same thing and very few have decent ratings. The highest rated e-commerce extension, for example, had broken divs when I looked at the demo in safari. My overall impression of the Joomla extensions is that they may not be great.

Also, my husband read that Joomla, while extremely popular, had coded itself into a corner for the future. I don't know the details of that, though- just repeating what he said he read.

Silverstripe
    I quite liked the demonstration site. The extensions seemed rather nifty and clean.

I wonder how much you can customise the look of the site, though? Or, rather, I see that you can do, but how difficult is it to go beyond the templates? New graphics are no problem, but the coding could be if it gets too complex.
    ----

Also, how easy is it to change the language in the edit screens and to change the currency in each if anyone has experience with that? I couldn't find how to do that in the demo Admin areas. It is important that the currency and edit screen language can be changed to swedish.

My impression, based on no experience with either, is to go with Silverstripe, but some opinions would be helpful.
    Last edited by Inga.; 05-13-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Inga. is offline Motstånd är meningslöst
    Thanks for the reply. We had actually ended up going with silverstripe. But, I have an additional question if anyone is good with silverstripe.

How do you setup a theme with more than one editable region? For example, have a tab for entering content on a sidebar, a main text area and perhaps another side image area? All of the themes I've looked at so far just have one place to enter content in the Admin section for each page. If someone knows of a tutorial or a theme for download so I can see how it is done, I'd love a link.

Thread Information