www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: In over my head

In over my head

Hi all. I am new to this developer stuff. How new? So new I'm not even sure I'm dangerous yet. So...

In laymans terms... Here's what I would like to do:

I have a very basic server which is really ancillary to the main server we use for the main web site. Before you ask... Yes I'm paying for it... long story short... I paid the money, now I have to justify it.

So, since we run a hunting web site, we would like for our members to have the ability to upload their raw data for editing by yours truly. I hate it when they send me their data on a CD or DVD because I run into encoding issues and blah blah blah blah.

My plan was to somehow create a page, similar to you tube but without all the conversion stuff, then I can load it from my editing PC straight to our Primary website.

What I don't understand is the coding that will allow minimal and controlled access to a specific file of my choosing on this server. Once they have completed their end of the upload, I DO NOT want to allow them access to the other files for download.

Is there anything I can do to create this that doesn't involve a masters in Programming?

Thanks in advance for any assitance all.

ttt

Well breaking your project down into sections might be helpful.
    we would like for our members to have the ability to upload their raw data
    Raw video files can be HUGE and may be a problem for uploading. For example, 5 minutes of raw, standard def video shot in mini-DV format will be about 1 GB, HD could be 3 to 4 times larger. That will take a heck of a long time for them to upload, then for you to download again (could be done but plan for spending lots of time transferring files).
    for editing by yours truly. I hate it when they send me their data on a CD or DVD because I run into encoding issues
    Unless you are expecting the members to do some preliminary editing and/or transcoding, you may still have “encoding issues”. Perhaps you need to set some standards on file type, etc.
    What I don't understand is the coding that will allow minimal and controlled access to a specific file of my choosing on this server. Once they have completed their end of the upload, I DO NOT want to allow them access to the other files for download.
    Create various folders on your server and give members standard FTP access (see your host for exact details). Then set up permissions for each folder using “htaccess”. This is a server level permissions scheme, very easy to use and available on most servers, but check with your host. So then a member could request the FTP username and password for the members only area. Then using htaccess, restrict the access to a specific folder for each member. Google for more info on htaccess or contact your host for instructions on restricting access that way.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Look into <input type="file"> (use google)
    Write a php script that will allow them to upload the file onto the server, if you're using Unix , Chmod the file to 000

Then when you're ready to edit the videos just use your FTP program to download the latest videos off the server
    Watch TV Online News, Sports, entertainment @ Telly.ws

Twitter Amplifier - Boost your Twitter followers for free

Thread Information