dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need to convert video_ts files to something that can be used on a site

Hybrid View

Need to convert video_ts files to something that can be used on a site

Hi all.

I have a client that gave me a dvd of an event they held that they want on their site.

I was planning on uploading to Google video, but found out they don't allow uploads anymore (bummer!). So I guess I need to do this the hard way, and I'm clueless.

I really have 2 issues, my main focus on the first issue here (once I get that resolved, I'll move on to the second one).

Issue #1: The DVD I was given has the movie broken up into Audio_TS and Video_TS folders. Audio_TS folder is empty, and Video_TS folder has 9 files in it. I believe I need to use either Video_TS.IFO or Video_TS.VOB.

Anyone know of a decent free (or cheap) program that will do a good job converting this to a format I can use for streaming video?

Issue #2: Again, no rush on this, but figured I'd post in case it makes a difference to the above question (or if someone can kill 2 birds with 1 stone).

Once I get the Video_TS file converted, what's a good way to create streaming video on the site? I'd like to have a player that you can enlarge for a bigger video image. I've seen posts on using Flash, but wasn't sure if that's the best way to go (not sure if that can enlarge the video).

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Getting video from a DVD that's been digitized seems like the wrong way to go. If you have the option of getting an output of their original avi or mov file you'll get much better results. The reason being to avoid all the rounds of compression- it's compressed once saving out to DVD, then again ripping from the DVD, then a 3rd time in converting it to an acceptable size for the web. Any one of those stages could increase the amount of video artifacts that show up in the final product.

If the DVD is your only option then I would go with Magic DVD Ripper which I think is about $30 but the trial allows you a limited number of full uses so you should be able to do what you want for free- for a limited time anyway. This will allow you to merge all those individual files on the DVD into something a converter or editor can read.

For the implementation are you sure you want streaming video? Or would progressive downloading be okay? A lot of people say streaming, but really mean progressive. Streaming video is incredibly expensive to run. If it's okay for the user to wait a few seconds as their video starts to load, the progressive downloading will work fine for what you want.

I'd use flash, if you don't want to write your own video player you could use something free like Flow Player. The benefit is that everyone has flash already available, mac and pc. Well maybe not everyone, but definitely the majority for sure.

To encode the video saved from the DVD to an flv (the flash video format) you could use Riva Encoder which is free. I've had the best luck with On2 Flix Pro though, but it's pricey. It's been able to keep the TV quality and low data rate where others crapped out.

Hope this helps!

Inifinityspiral - thanks a ton for the info.

I have requested a different version of the video (after reading other posts, I requested .flv - hope that was the right choice).

Not sure when or if I'll get it, though, so I'll try going the route that you suggested.

I'll post back my results.

Thanks again!

Thumbs up

Well, I went through what you suggested, and all-in-all it worked pretty well. There is definitely a loss in quality after the conversions (to .avi, then to .flv), but it works.

Looks decent unless you go full-screen, then it's horrible. Still hoping the video company sends me the file in .flv, but at least I have a backup plan in place if they don't.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by gorbel View Post
    Well, I went through what you suggested, and all-in-all it worked pretty well. There is definitely a loss in quality after the conversions (to .avi, then to .flv), but it works.

Looks decent unless you go full-screen, then it's horrible. Still hoping the video company sends me the file in .flv, but at least I have a backup plan in place if they don't.

Thanks again!
    I think if you directly convert the dvd to flv would be better, the video quality wont be lost so much.

The flash player, you may customize one by yourself. To customize flash video player, I personally use a graphical program named moyea web player, which can enable me to customize every aspect of flash video player with mouse-clicks on graphical interfaces. In addtion, it offers a not bad dvd to flv converter for converting dvd to flv file.

I know one named DVD to Flash Converter that can convert the DVD into SWF video and FLV streaming video formats.
    If you want a try, here:
    http://www.******************.com/dvd-to-flash/
    Hope it is helpful.

Hi.
    The IFO is an Info file.
    the VOB is an MPEG2 video.
    I mainly use "ImTOO DVD Ripper Platinum 5" or you can use the standart.
    It rip the DVD in chapters or by selecting start and end points.
    or you can use the free (and slow) AOA dvd ripper.

P.S
    YouTube IS google video. (was purchased by them)

GoodLuck.

Thread Information