www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: event to be fired if mouse passes over text under an object

Question event to be fired if mouse passes over text under an object

Hello, I'm having a problem with a site I'm developing that uses heavy DOM javascript.

My goal is for text with a certain SPAN class to be highlighted blue when the mouse passes over it.
    Sounds easy, right? Not necessarily-- the catch is that sometimes, DIV boxes are on top of the text that I'm trying to change, so even if the mouse is resting on top of the text, the desired event is not fired because the cursor is registered as being on top of the DIV element, not the text.

What I want to do is make it so that whenever the mouse is hovering over obstructed text, the obstructions disappear, so that the text is clickable.

Any help would be appreciated. This has been bugging me for a while now.
    Here is a link to my project: click here
    Notice that the pictures already are highlighted blue when moused over, but not the text. Please help, thanks!!

Why don't you try using imagemap and area tags where the text is? Then add an onMouseOver event to the area tags?

The problem is that I have no control where the text and the images are on the page, as the code will be executed for many different pages and layouts. I've tried using offsetTop, offsetLeft, offsetWidth and offsetHeight to do something similar with the images on the page, but it doesn't seem to work with spans of text. I'd need a way to calculate where exactly the text would appear on each page.

Style for the spans:

position: absolute;
    left: [whatever]px;
    top: [whatever]px;

There ya go.

thanks for your quick replies cryptographer.
    again though, I have no control over the content of the webpages. This would work great if I were able to manipulate the text myself, but I'm simply adding javascript to pre-made webpages of different styles.

Oh, I see.
    Hm... how are the spans positioned? Relatively? And I'm suuming you are willing to use Javascript(duh).

I've run into many types, most of which are static, but some are absolute, and some are displayed as blocks (really annoying). I need one javascript solution that can cover all of them in one go.

Which span are you talking about? Is it visible in the web page?

HOLD ON! I've got it! You are trying to make the text come above the image span right? Here's the javascript:

document.getElementById(text or whatever).style.z-index=[something higher than the image or div, like 1000000];

That should make the text span come ABOVE the div.

In my web page? currently, there is a span of text whose class is called "edit-retext" and it says "testing" a whole bunch of times. As you can see there is an image obstructing it. I'm using that for testing/demonstration purposes.

I've tried the z-index method too. It doesn't seem to work with SPANs whose position are static.

Have you tried LOWERING the picture? Heh? HEH?

Sorry, you will have been the first person I helped, I'm anxious.

hah, that's fine. what do you mean by lowering the picture?

Well, if you can't RAISE the text using z-index, then LOWER the picture. ;D

Thread Information