dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: HTML / .EXE - method to output from EXE to web interface? Help?

HTML / .EXE - method to output from EXE to web interface? Help?

So I have a basic understanding of CSS/HTML from a coding stand-point (I use dreamweaver CS4, but mostly just for the syntax coloring/selection ease, etc..)

I have a friend who is creating a VB program that will take input for location data such as: "where is your my documents located" and additional fields such as "Where is your pictures being stored", etc..which will function and browse to locations, etc...ultimately he can output the results into whatever file format.

I'm tasked with created a web page that will load this data and create clickable links to the targets of each selection.... (the user who is using the page will never deal with the EXE at all....)

I have no idea what file format to tell him to export the data to and how to integrate it into links (I imagine I would have him create relative links such as \my documents\my pictures) etc....but not sure what I need to understand to make this work...as the actual output will be generated and placed on external hard drives.... (it's for the sake of easing finding the data on a new ext HDD)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

- Brett
    Last edited by brett007; 05-20-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Skip the exe and embed the VB in an HTML Application. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...96(VS.85).aspx
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Skip the exe and embed the VB in an HTML Application. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...96(VS.85).aspx
    hmm that's certainly an option, however he's already well versed in VB and has begun development, I'll speak with him about using his code like this....

if all else fails and we have to stick with EXE to web document method (with clickable links as per what is inputted in the VB app)...any ideas for the easiest way to pull this off? Something to do with XML??
    Last edited by brett007; 05-20-2009 at 09:25 PM.

HTML Applications run VB, among other things. Or you could have the application call the exe, but that's likely unnecessary.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”

HTML Applications run VB, among other things. Or you could have the application call the exe, but that's likely unnecessary.
    Please excuse my n00bish understanding on this, but would you mind answering a couple of questions... It is my understanding that essentially the HTA app is possible simply by using the necessary <script> code in the actual HTML (header), correct?

I was able to follow the first sample on that link given and create a blank page that pops up at the specified resolution in the sample code...but that's it...

Is that the idea, or am I missing somehthing fudemental? Would a VB coder be able to make sense of this more than me? If I have enough understanding to create a basic (no scripting) XHTML page styled with CSS (2-3 column, images, text, header, footer, etc...) is this something that falls most heavily on my VB friend vs. me since I'm really just going for a single web PAGE for this project....
    Last edited by brett007; 05-21-2009 at 03:55 PM.

So...I do need to make this from an .exe.....because the HTA method requires IE...I need it to support FF, IE, and whatever else possible...

any idea guys?

The you're hosed because only IE can access and EXE but only running an HTA.

The you're hosed because only IE can access and EXE but only running an HTA.
    Only IE can access an EXE? Well, okay, but I just need the page to access whatever the EXE outputs, if it's XML, TXT, HTML, whatever format he can output the inputted data to would work.

Isn't there a solution to this? The page would ideally have links the user clicks on to access a local resource (like a relative file path, ex: \documents or \user\pictures, etc...)

these links are created on the back end (through the application/exe) by me...

Does that make more sense? I hope there is a solution...

Thread Information