www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3.0.*

Firefox 3.0.*

Well lets just say that the thing has got serious issues.

I have spent the last hour and a half reading the comments in the knowledge base to find a resolution to the problem but find more than a thousand complaints, many same as what I am experiencing and others with more specific issues and in each case the developers or web moderators or whatever they are all respond with a stock answer that the issue is either one of these...

The operating system
    Spy/Malware
    Buggy Plugins
    Memory hungry plugins

and so on. Every excuse but the truth.

I posted information driectly from the crash reporter in to the mozilla site help forum only to have some lame brained moderator tried to tell me that the information I posted is about my computer... Errrr... No, it is about the browser crash reporter and accoring to the crash reporter is the information that is sent to mozilla.

So anyone wondering why their Mozilla is not playing ball, the reason is internal buggy code in the browser and nothing to do with your plugins.

I think that this is important to note and Mozilla should hold their hands up and tell the truth and not lie as this only damages their reputation. I know I am not impressed as I have largely been ignored and fobbed off despite telling the developers that the large number of issues are memory related and that indicates Mozilla has a memory leak and that my friends is due to sloppy programming...

What is wrong with these people?
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Probably nothing since it's all in your computer. I maintain 10 systems on Windows, FreeBSD and Linux, plus family and friends. All run FF3.0.5 without issues.

Sorry mate but theirs a few thousand complaints in the Mozilla support site on this very subject.

That speaks for itself.
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!

Compared to millions with no such issue. If such a thing was ongoing with the majority, there would be a lot more noise than this.

So the 0.00001% who have problems all have something else in common that is the real cause of the problem that they are blaming on the browser. If the browser actually were the problem there would be many times the number of people having the problem. Firefox 3 runs fine with no problems on all my computers.
    Stephen

Fx3 will run correctly if you do a clean install. This includes removing ALL Fx profiles.
    Once you start adding add-ons you may experience problems.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Issues
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

I have similar memory-related problems with Fx 3. I'm in Win xp, and almost every time I close it out, firefox.exe stays open in my processes, and drains about 90% of all available memory... I know that I'm not the only one with similar problems, I'm just waiting for an update that will fix the problem.

@dtm32236 does this problem persist in safe mode? If not then the problem is with add-ons.

almost every time I close it out, firefox.exe stays open in my processes
    That can occur if Firefox was ever shutdown improperly. Close Firefox and look in your profile folder for anything named 'lock' or has 'lock' in it. Delete them. Then restart FF and the problem goes away.

Thanks guys, I'll check that out. I'm reformatting my computer soon anyway, so I'm not gonna worry about it now. I'll let you know how it works out.

Well, haven't had any problems with FF3, however it does love to eat up memory compared to IE7 or Opera on the same sites.

Personally I think Opera is way sweeter than FF3. IE7 somewhat sweeter than FF3. Never been impressed with Firefox (starting with Mozilla).
    Mullanaphy!
    http://www.mullanaphy.com/

Unless code is provided or an exact example is requested I think I'm going to start using psuedo code from now on...

Also, I freelance as well. Inquire within!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    Well, haven't had any problems with FF3, however it does love to eat up memory compared to IE7 or Opera on the same sites.

Personally I think Opera is way sweeter than FF3. IE7 somewhat sweeter than FF3. Never been impressed with Firefox (starting with Mozilla).
    I'd have to disagree about IE7 being better than Firefox 3. Mozilla 0.1 is a more up to date browser than IE7 is. There are so many things that can be done on the web as long as you don't try to use IE8 or earlier that it is just fortunate that use of IE is falling so rapidly at the moment. Once IE can be ignored then all those things that other web browsers have been able to handle for years but which we couldn't use because of IE being 11+ years out of date will then become possible. Whether Microsoft will attempt to catch up by adding them into IE9 and whether there will even be an IE9 remains to be seen but they'll have to move fast if they expect to survive in the future browser market.
    Stephen

IM running 3.1 beta 2 and it still crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    IM running 3.1 beta 2 and it still crashes.
    That's why it's a beta

Quote Originally Posted by Fang View Post
    That's why it's a beta
    I occasionally run the beta (nightly build) on Ubuntu and even then it hasn't crashed for me yet but, yes, if it did, it wouldn't mean anything about its eventual use.

Thread Information