www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: document.getElementById("input_field").onblur doesn't work?

document.getElementById("input_field").onblur doesn't work?

Okay, probably a really simple question, but still: in order to avoid using <input id="input_field" onblur="stuff()" /> is it not possible to do this in your .js?

document.getElementById("input_field").onblur = function() {
    blah blah blah
    }

Thank you

Once your input element loads, you can use JS to execute a function that uses addEventListener (or attachEvent for IE) to add the onblur event listener function. That way, you don't have to put the onblur="stuff()" in your HTML. Information on both functions is available at QuirksMode, or you can look them up yourself
    I've switched careers...
    I'm NO LONGER a scientist,
    but now a web developer...
    awesome.

Okay, thanks. Yeah, that's also the only thing I was able to find. Is there a reason the standard method is not supported (like window.onload = function()) ?

Sorry, I skipped that part of your post. That method is supported, it's just an older method of event registration.
    I've switched careers...
    awesome.

Okay, thank you aj_nsc! I'll try to research more on addEventListener.
    Cheers!

Wow, I'm missing a lot of stuff today. I totally missed the title of your post. If the code in the title of this thread doesn't work, it's because it's called before the element is loaded - this is most likely due to this code being called in some script being loading in your head tag....try moving your script to the end of your page (right before your closing body tag). This is getting to be common practice nowadays to prevent long page loading times due to increasingly common use of JS framework libraries. Hope that's clarified why the code in your title hasn't been working.
    I've switched careers...
    awesome.

Oh okay, I'll try that! I didn't think about that before, thanks for all the help

Thread Information