www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Slow loading page .. but why??

Slow loading page .. but why??

I just had a subcontractor make this shopping cart for me. It loads very very slowly and won't even scroll properly once loaded.

I know it's not the size of the graphics cause I put more pics on a page on a subdomain of this site and it loads and scrolls just fine. They used java script for shadows instead of photoshop and I thought that might be the problem but it not that, what could be making this page so troublesome?

any ideas?
    http://www.patchworkmemorials.com

thanks for any insight that you can provide.

Well you have 800 kB of images, that is the problem for sure. Slow loading is nearly always about the size of the page, and that is huge.
    Great wit and madness are near allied, and fine a line their bounds divide.

I know pictures are usually the problem but this is what baffles me.

Here is a test page I made, on the same server, on a subdomain of the same URL. It is bigger as far as KB of pictures to load yet it loads nicely and scrolls just fine.
    http://www.dealers.patchworkmemorial...icturetest.htm

So, if it's the pictures, then why do these two pages behave contrary to the accepted default answer of "it's the pictures". If it was picture KB size, then the picturetest.htm page would be worse, not considerably better.

That's why I came here to find the answer. "It's the pictures" was the easy one but as far as I can determine, not the correct one.

Am I missing something obvious here? Any thoughts? Anything you can gather from the source code? I really need to fix this. (PS, i am shrinking the pictures regardless)

Good idea to shrink the pictures anyway. No matter what, that will definitely improve the loading times. Depending on your browser, the fact that the images are added by JavaScript could influence the loading times, but not greatly, and only in older browsers.

They are both table layouts, with one crucial difference, the one that doesn't scroll has image maps. When scrolling, it scrolls badly over the pictures, and fine in between. The only reason I can think for that is the image maps. Unless they are crucial, try removing them.
    Great wit and madness are near allied, and fine a line their bounds divide.

Thread Information