www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to 'eyedrop' text formatting to apply to another text layer?

How to 'eyedrop' text formatting to apply to another text layer?

I encountered this at some point in my past just once. I saw it happen, thought "hey that's pretty useful", but never could figure out what accidental combination of keys I pushed in order to get it.

A search of Google isn't helping, I think I must not be looking for the right thing.

What exactly is the key combo or even just the process for copying all of the text styling from one text layer to another? Similar to copying color from one thing to apply it to another....?

EDIT: Using Photoshop, forgot to mention that.
    Last edited by peachskittle; 06-08-2009 at 11:04 AM.

if you are trying to get the color off of a text select the paintbrush tool then hold the alt key and click on the color you want

if you are trying to duplicate text drag it down to the new layer button in the layers palette.

and if your are trying to copy styles applied to one text layer (or any layer for that matter) to another layer, right click on that layer and select 'copy layer style' then right click on the layer you want to add that style to and click 'paste layer style'

Right clicking a text layer isn't giving me the copy layer style option, I think that might be if I have added effects.

I'm attempting to copy the text styles from one text blurb to another. ie, I have a blurb of text that I want to copy its font face, font style, tracking, kerning, etc etc, to another blurb of text so they match. I know I can do this manually but if I have 20 layers, it would be an awesome shortcut to know, I know its available I've done it by accident before, just searching high and low for it now...

then you will want the second option of dragging that text layer to the new layers button to copy it, then make your changes.

There are multiple ways I can get to where I need to go, but there's a definite functionality in photoshop that I am trying to ask for, which is why I posted here, since I can't seem to see it anywhere. I can do what I need to do, but its a specific method I'd like to have in me repertoire.

If it helps to know what I'm talking about: when whatever right sequence of actions/hotkeys are pressed, I get the eyedropper tool, with (I believe) a 'T' subscripted on the tool icon that is the mouse, telling me that I'm picking up text styles, this is the tool I'm trying to get.... is this just really ridiculously obvious and I'm out of my head, and everyone just knows it so no one knows what I'm asking?

It actually looks like this is a very common functionality for Adobe Illustrator. As this was during GD school, this may very well have been where I saw this, and I might be completely wrong about it being available in Photoshop. Oops.

Would still be awesome if it were available... but if its Illustrator only, makes sense I guess!

Thread Information