www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Newbie question about forms

Hybrid View

Newbie question about forms

Ok, very beginner question. I am a designer and therefore know little about the CGI world. I have a client who would like a simple form to be emailed to her upon hitting the submit button. They currently have an existing web site and just want me to add this one page. I also have web space as a "reseller". My question: What type of script should I get and where should I put it. On their hosting place although I know nothing of it's capabilities, or mine or what? I've tried to research but can't come up with the simple answers I know are out there. What questions do I need to get answered by my hosting company or theirs etc.? Thanks for any help.
    Greatfully yours,
    slurpeegirl

Ask you hosting company if they support Perl. If so, you will need the path to the perl interpreter, and the path to sendmail.

Here is an example of both:

usr/bin/perl
    usr/bin/sendmail

Then you will need a form handler script. You can find them at http://cgi.resourceindex.com

If they don't support Perl, ask about PHP...

Thank you. I will try that today.

I'm a newbie too. More a designer than a developer. I've been asking around re how to activate the submit button on my site. Some people say I should use ASP, others say I should use a CGI script. Can anyone enlighten me further?!?

Kissies

Originally posted by geek_grrrl
    I've been asking around re how to activate the submit button on my site.
    What exactly are you trying to do?

I'm trying - by hook or by crook - to get the data in the form on this page - http://www.jetsupport.com.au/origina.../bookings.html into an email that turns up in my client's email box.

As an aside, I've spoken to the client's ISP. They tell me the site is not able to do this (send the form) BUT the client has spoken to them and says they pay extra for this functionality on their account. All I can figure (and this could be totally off the mark) is that it can be done by ASP but not CGI. Could this be right. Not knowing the difference between the two means Im pretty much clueless.

Thanks for your help!!

The form could be sent with ASP, CGI/Perl, or PHP. You may want to do a search for form to email scripts, after you find out which language the host supports.

Aside from what my host can cope with, is there any reason you'd use ASP over a CGI script? Can anyone point me towards a source that desscribes the difference between these two methods in respect to emailing online forms?

Cheers

As far as what I'd use, I'd use PHP, but that is because that is what I am familiar with. For a simple form mailer, I'm not sure if one scripting language has an advantage over the other. ASP, Perl/CGI or PHP would all be quite capable of making a form mailer.

Aside from what my host can cope with, is there any reason you'd use ASP over a CGI script? Can anyone point me towards a source that desscribes the difference between these two methods in respect to emailing online forms?
    ASP and PHP are similar BUT ASP is primarily used with Windows Servers and PHP is primarily used with UNIX/LINUX Servers.

CGI is a little different. it's NOT a programming language but a method (I use that loosly). The programming language used with CGI can be Perl, C, Java and others. The most widely used for small applications is Perl.

So the first thing you need to determine is what type of server is being used. If it's Window, the choice is easy; ASP. If it's UNIX, the easiest is probably PHP (althought that's debatable)

Muchas Gracias! Will investigate further.

Kissies

Well I don't use CGI scripts or anything, mostly use HTML cuz I'm a n00b and I'm learnin JavaScript, but for theUnited Assault that I made, I use a PHP mailing script for the Join and Post News page...the URL that it is at right now is www.gamingshack.net/ua/Join.php but I don't know if it will work with any other languages, but it works with HTML. Good luck!

-Eag|e

Thread Information