www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Evil Programming Language?

Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

"Spaghetti PHP"?

The most evil I ever had to deal with was COBOL, probably because I never figured out what the heck I was doing.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    Alright, this might start a flame war but it's not the intent. The intent is two fold, first I need a language that just seems evil or one that an evil individual would use to program in. And two is just for some fun jest.

Anyways, it's for a story I'm writing and in it there are some messed up programming going on. So far been tossing around ideas to use this is them and why:

Java: It's used greatly and is pretty easy to recognize. Some people find it to be written by Satan.

Python: Because it's unassuming, just don't trust it.

Perl: My favorite language.

Visual Basic: Pretty self explanatory.

C: Besides being pretty scary looking at times it's also efficient. Somehow always picture efficiency and evilness going hand in hand...

Lisp: Again, like Python Lisp just seems like a good natured language... underlined with evil...

So, please discuss.

Thanks,
    Mullanaphy!
    What if we were to combine all of these evil languages and put them in a robot?

Actually called 'evil'

I just found an esoteric programming language called 'evil'. (http://esolangs.org/wiki/Evil). Every lower case letter is a command, meaning that every text file is a legal 'evil' program .
    I got this "Hello, world!" program in evil from the website above:
    Code:
       zaeeeaeeew
       zaeeaeeaeaw
       zaeaeeaeeaew
       zaeaeeaeeaew
       zuueeueew
       zaeeeeew
       zuueueueeeew
       zuueeueew
       zaeeaeeaeaeew
       zaeaeeaeeaew
       zaeeaeeaew
       zaeeeeeaw
       zaeeeeeaeawuuuw

That is absolutely insane! Lets add it to our super evil robot.

All Programs are evils if programmed by those Devils.
    See there's a "D" (Developers) infront of "evils".

This is going to be one sick robot...

Although I don't think it should be programmed in Evil, however it should output everything in Evil :P

And Mr. Initial Man, Spaghetti PHP is one of the ugliest forms of Spaghetti code since there are many similar functions\variables in PHP to accommodate people of various backgrounds... then add people that don't know how to use Objects yet use classes anyways (like the guy we had just fired where I work), mixed with several other schemes, it can get hideous...
    Mullanaphy!
    http://www.mullanaphy.com/

Unless code is provided or an exact example is requested I think I'm going to start using psuedo code from now on...

Also, I freelance as well. Inquire within!

then add people that don't know how to use Objects yet use classes anyways
    ... OOP was "created" to make programming easier, not more difficult. Some really great programmers see OOP as a bad trend that allows shoddy programmers to get by while preventing good programmers from creating really great code.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Quote Originally Posted by svidgen View Post
    ... OOP was "created" to make programming easier, not more difficult. Some really great programmers see OOP as a bad trend that allows shoddy programmers to get by while preventing good programmers from creating really great code.
    Yeah, guys that use LISP say things like that. However using Objects and not using Objects wasn't my complaint, my complaint was when someone who doesn't know how to use Objects uses classes anyways.

For instance, the one guy did everything procedurally, however half of his code was done as functions, the other half as functions inside of a class, the functions inside his class he'd still push all the data through parameters instead of utilizing the extremely useful and easier to maintain $this. Not to mention he used several naming conventions ta-boot. As you can imagine his code then became a vicious maze trying to figure out what exactly he was trying to do. All in all I'd end up having to rewrite most of it and trim out a lot of redundant\useless code...

Great programmers will say it all depends on the task at hand.
    Mullanaphy!

Unless code is provided or an exact example is requested I think I'm going to start using psuedo code from now on...

OOP is nice for solving complex problems. But again, the OOP wouldn't be necessary if the problem-solver was smart enough to think of the problem as a whole to begin with.

Am I saying we should avoid OOP? -- Absolutely not.

Am I saying we should use OOP when we have the chance? -- Hell no!

So, what am I saying?

OOP allows lesser minds to program effectively without having to know a damn thing about good coding. It allows folks to rely on the underlying system to just "know" the best way to do things. That's the whole idea ...

... and the whole idea is shown to be quite faulty when you start working with complex systems wherein the programmers have started with a set of classes and ignored the internal functions of those classes. The end result is code that runs significantly slower than the "procedural" counterpart code. You end up with programs that consume thousands of lines of code, when 10 or 20 easy-to-understand lines of well-thought-out code are better.

So ... when do we use object-oriented code? When the problem is beyond our tiny little brains. And, as fallible humans, that'll be quite often.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking OOP is a step up for programmers ...

EDIT: So, the language of choice for an evil genius will decidedly not force object oriented programming on our genius. He's too smart to be constrained by objects.
    Last edited by svidgen; 07-06-2009 at 01:08 PM.
    Jon Wire

Use CODE tags!

I'd agree with that to some extent. OOP has many great features\skill sets and when more programmers are developing on a team having core classes and a standardized naming convention help greatly keep things organized and self contained. Not to mention that it becomes quite easy to manipulate any new data or build upon as long as one develops their class properly. Which in the end run will help avoid reinventing the wheel from project to project.

As for the story I'm writing it's still not certain what language will be used. Still a toss up between Java and C, would love to go with Visual Basic (that seems very evil of a language), however want the language to be developed on FreeBSD (devil logo made that choice easy). BASH\perl still stick out as well though, however for the task at hand C seems the most practical for what they're developing (it's an extremely huge\complex system).
    Mullanaphy!

The BASH/Perl combo would be pretty deliciously evil ...
    Jon Wire

Use CODE tags!

basic.... and i mean basic basic... the begining... why i hated it...
    01 type some code
    03 34

The redundancy of typing out your own line number....... drove me crazy...

Unix not so bad, linux was fun

DOS lets just not go there either....
    Samantha Morrison
    Knock-Out Web Designs
    http://kowebdesigns.com
    Website Developer/Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    This is going to be one sick robot...

Although I don't think it should be programmed in Evil, however it should output everything in Evil :P

And Mr. Initial Man, Spaghetti PHP is one of the ugliest forms of Spaghetti code since there are many similar functions\variables in PHP to accommodate people of various backgrounds... then add people that don't know how to use Objects yet use classes anyways (like the guy we had just fired where I work), mixed with several other schemes, it can get hideous...
    Okay, what is Spaghetti code?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Initial Man View Post
    Okay, what is Spaghetti code?
    if i'm not mistaken it is the continuous amounts of

if (this) {
    }
    if (that) {
    }
    if {
    }
    if {
    }
    if { }
    if {}

is one part of it... basically alot of code that could have taken up a lot less room and make the file smaller, faster and more effecient..
    Samantha Morrison
    Knock-Out Web Designs
    http://kowebdesigns.com
    Website Developer/Designer

Thread Information