www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Am I stupid or should I roll my own with PHP

Am I stupid or should I roll my own with PHP

Hi all

I have run into several critical issues with Druapl. I have spent months (I'm a sole, inexperienced developer) working on a project for myself, but have been vexed at the following:

white screen of death: result - my app just stops working, displaying only a white screen. This is a PHP memory issue (I'm on shared hosting - though with generous settings ie 128MB PHP_memory available).

I also find I can't search for PHP code within nodes

Drupal is slow as a dog - the built in caching helps.

Now, I have toyed with the idea of coding my own app. I have limited knowledge in PHP, HTML, CSS etc though I have been developing for over five years. I thought of doing my own site from scratch, as I don't really need a full on CMS/community app. I mainly need to serve pages (probably includes), with minimal MySQL for user / authentication.

I don't mind starting off with less functionality and thought that I could simply 'bolt-on' classes/functions from scripting sites, till I get up and running.

Can I please have your opinion. I know I've given limited background info, but can supply more if required. I just want to see if I'm being arrogant and stupid.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I might be a newbie but I'm not stupid!

I've never worked with Drupal, so can't really comment on it. I've used the CodeIgniter framework on a number of small-to-medium projects and found it to be both productive and to have pretty good performance. However, it does require at least a grasp of the basics of object-oriented programming with PHP.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

sounds to me like you are starting to see the light. You are not arrogant or stupid.

you might like my blog entry on drupal / joomla etc:
    http://www.adamjimenez.com/blog/web-...ress-mambo-etc

Quote Originally Posted by adam.jimenez View Post
    sounds to me like you are starting to see the light. You are not arrogant or stupid.
    Hey Adam. I had a look at your article on the link provided, and the comments too, reflect the sort of stuff that is now going around in my head.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I might be a newbie but I'm not stupid!

Thread Information