www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: New to Websites! Help!!!

Hybrid View

New to Websites! Help!!!

Hi, I am having a little trouble starting my own website. I bought a domain name from godaddy, trying to use apache to serve it, and using iweb (2008) to create it. I know its pretty amateur stuff. I was able to figure out where to publish the file to the /library/webservers/documents folder and found the index.html. I think thats progress. But then i want to use apache to serve those files to the internet through godaddy. I have a Macbook OSX. I am a little lost in the process. If anybody could lead me in the right direction that would be great! thanks so much.

-Stu

create an index.html file and save it in the root directory of the server your'e using.

where from index.html

I actually have the index.html but i dont know what to do with it.....

who is hosting your website? GoDaddy? If you create an index.html page and stick it in the root directory where your site is hosted, then whenever someone types in the www.yoursitehere.com into the browser, it'll go to the root directory of your server and pull up the index.html page. From that page you have all the navigation to other pages that can either be stored at the root level as well or in folders.

... Are you trying to host this domain on your Macbook?
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Thats what I would like...i am using godaddy and I hear they put banners and its not that great of a server. I heard therefore that Apache is better. Harder but better...but i need a little guidance on how to host it on my own Macbook.

I'm going to have to advise against hosting your site on a Macbook--not that OS X isn't a great OS for that sort of thing. You'll just run into a lot of issues trying to do things locally. Hunt around for a good web hosting deal. I use micfo.com. They've got a good number of packages, you can have the site hosted on *nix/Apache, their service has been pretty good for me, and you don't have to learn all that *nixy administrative stuff if you get a package with a control panel (any shared hosting package).
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Quote Originally Posted by snicky1271 View Post
    Thats what I would like...i am using godaddy and I hear they put banners and its not that great of a server. I heard therefore that Apache is better. Harder but better...but i need a little guidance on how to host it on my own Macbook.
    If you're expecting free hosting, then yes I think GoDaddy and most other free hosts will put banners on the site. If you pay for hosting, then GoDaddy doesn't do banners, and they will support either Windows or Linux OS.

Dave

Thread Information