www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I need advice (big data grid/table performance)

I need advice (big data grid/table performance)

Hi,

I am projecting new application what has big tables on pages. Something like contacts. (ca 2000-6000 records to view same time; and every record has 10-20 fields to show) I want that all table can be edited (add keyword(s) to every record, note(s), etc) I can filter data in grid. And can fill all column by same value or by some rule. Can edit every record separately. Something like simple version of Excel or Access DB

At the moment I have app what does almost everything needed (did it with dhtmlX components ; JS/AJAX+PHP), but over 2000 records on page it will be so slow that changing info and saving to server will take 1-3 minutes to wait before anything happens. There is no difference what browser I use. With these dhtmlX components I cant use pagging, because then I cant change all data same time. I can change only data on current page.

I dont know now how to do application react quicker than now? Should I use C# and ASP technology? Or do Win.Forms Client-Server app? Can any more experienced give advice/hint/tip what techology to use or how to solve this kind problem?

A little clarification would be useful here. When you perform these bulk-updates, what's actually happening on the back-end? Anything? Are you running any SQL queries? Or are you really just waiting for the browser to update values locally?

I would presume that you're waiting on some SQL queries. I would also presume that you're running a single query for each row that receives an update, which is the wrong way to do it. I'm not sure tho ... Please clarify!
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Currently I have test app what shows real data from DB but will not update anything in DB.
    Grid rendering will take most of the waiting time. Updating and server side takes only 10-20% of this delay.
    Currently yes every record update will sent separately to server (but at moment php-script doesnt do anything, sends only response that all is ok).

Step-by-step (2500 records):
    grid rendering > 2 min (I need to do this because without this grid will update only records visible on screen )
    grid update ca 10-15 sec
    server responses ca 10-20sec

Is the client-side script making a request for each row that needs to be updated though? That could make things a little sluggish?

If client-side rendering alone is taking a long time, you may just need to consider alternate means of displaying the table--display a limited number of rows at a time or something. Check up on how much memory your browser is using--maybe you're page/script is consuming so much memory that its generating frequent page faults.

It's tough to say what else to do, not having thorough internal knowledge of the scripts you're using. One of the main points in using those helper libraries is to avoid having to know what's going on with any detail. If you want to optimize things, you may have to delve in ...
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

Thread Information