www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Suggestion for correct syntax

Suggestion for correct syntax

I have a firstname and lastname entry for searching information using AJAX with a web service.
    It works great where the user enters firstname and then enters lastname and then hits tab key to start the search with no Enter button.

Trying to put the right syntax for the user to understand. Anyone have any suggestions because everyone expects an Enter or Submit button. My current syntax says:

After entering Lastname you must hit the Tab Key to submit your search. No Submit/Enter button action is needed to execute your search.

Why doesn't Enter work? That's what people expect, so why are you taking that from them? A lot of accessibility / usability advocates would freak. Especially if there's not even a 'submit' button provided.

Anyway, if you must disable Enter, then what you already have sounds fine to me.

Wanted to try something that might be quicker.
    The Enter Submit button involves one extra click or tab compared to just hitting tab key from the lastname field.

Why can't they just hit the Enter/Return key while in the last name field? It's just a difference of which finger they use to press a key ...

... I sense that most people will probably be thinking Enter, rather than Tab.

Quote Originally Posted by florida View Post
    The Enter Submit button involves one extra click or tab compared to just hitting tab key from the lastname field.
    Enter and tab require one button press. People are used to Enter. I agree with svidgen. I'd stick with enter.

But in any case, you should always have a 'submit' button for the idiots out there. There's tons of them.

Thread Information